Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my top loader and test shifting I find the reverse gear doesn't fully disengage from the first and second speed synchronizer when using a crescent to turn the trunnion. Makes me wonder if I didn't put the shift rail in correctly somehow. It doesn't have any oil in it but the parts are coated well. Anyone have this issue ?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Did you accidentally put the reverse sliding gear in backwards? The groove for the shift lever should be forward, and the teeth to the rear. The 1-2 synchro is the opposite, with the groove to the rear and teeth to the front. It's also possible the shift lever set screws are not in the pockets on the shift rails.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Been a while since I've been in my toploader, but I do recall you can install the synchro drive gear (one on the shaft) backwards. The part that rides on the shaft is not centered in the gear so it has a bias to one side. It would be the one in the 1-2 synchro assembly. This could be your issue. Here's what it is supposed to look like assembled correctly:

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Did you accidentally put the reverse sliding gear in backwards"

Yes this is exactly what I did, damn I thought I was so carful to do everything by the book. I appreciate your feedback and the picture help a great deal. I'll get it back apart this weekend to rectify the problem

Many Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts