Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I look for when purchasing a used toploader,I found a rug e3 model,and i would be using this w/ a 351c.I have did a search on a few of the rebuilder sites and looked in manuals but I can't figure out what the term broken ears are and if they could be repaired.Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
There's no way I'd get into a toploader without talking to Mark at Toploader Heaven first - www.toploaderheaven.com - very cool guy and I'm sure that even if you didn't buy something of his he'd be more than happy to give you the information you're looking for. Ask anyone who's dealt with him and you'll hear the same... I know it sounds like an ad, but he's just one of those guys who's rare and deserves the props...

Just my $02...

-bob

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Broken mounting ears happen when the tranny just doesn't seem to want to go the last 1/2"... People try to draw the transmission to the bell with the bolts when somethings still misaligned and snap the mounting ears off..

They can be repaired, should be DC welded with a Nickel rod bolted to a bellhousing.

RUG-E3 is a wide ratio from a 1969 Mustang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts