Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I installed a Modern Driveline T-5 last fall and I'm going to be selling the toploader along with everything else (Hurst Comp Plus, scattershield, clutch, separator plate, linkage, etc.) shortly. I was doing some research on the toploader on the David Kee site and something doesn't seem to add up. The Tag # is RUG AE2, the main case is C8AR -7006-D and the tailhousing is C70R-7A040-A and it's 28 spline. The tag ID seems to indicate that it's from a 1969 Boss 429 or 428...but those were 31 spline??? Also, the C8AR/C7OR combo is not listed as used in a Mustang.

Is the David Kee site gospel? I was thinking maybe at some point someone switched to 28 spline but that does not explain the RUG AE2 tag on a C8AR main casing.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,777 Posts
Transmission could have easily been rebuilt to include the parts that are now installed. I would say Kee’s site is pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Lots of toploaders have been pieced together over the years. I use C7O tails on all mine with big in and 31 spline out. Some of my cases are C5 and some C8. You have a mixed toploader. Pretty common for 50 year old transmissions that came in a variety of configurations.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
As time goes by Mustangs, and Mustang components, are more likely to be "parts collections". Bit by bit, my 66 is no exception. As a 66 A code, it now carries a 65 K code engine, wheels I found on a 65 Fairlane, the rear axle assembly from a 66 GT350H, and differential from a 69 Torino. And my transmission? A correct-numbers 66 wide-ratio Ford Design, built from a correct case and tailshaft housing out of the parts bin, plus mostly new internals.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
The casting numbers are correct for that transmission, but you are correct in that to match the tag, the output should be a 31 spline. It should also be a big input 1 3/8" and a close ratio. Guessing by your T-5 swap, it was behind a small block. The C7 tail was used on big block Mustangs 67-69 and was replaced be the D0 unit.

Sounds like as others have stated, a mix of parts. Most likely a case with something broken and the good parts swapped to the AE2 tagged case.

The case alone has a bit of value for a guy looking to do a correct build. I'd bet one of the toploader rebuilders would be interested in your transmission. Prices are all over the place. Best returns will be selling them in separate lots ie- trans only, shifter only, bell, plate and clutch, linkage group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts