Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through Toploader Heaven's "Buying Used Toploaders" section on their web page to try to see if I should rebuild my unit while it was out of the car. It passed all the items on the check-list (that I could see), but I'm not sure about things like 1) needle bearings and needle bearing surfaces (there was some surface rust under the lid, indicating moisture inside...none on the gears), 2) rear roller bearings (the front roller bearings looked fine), and 3) inside lining of blocking rings...so I was thinking about rebuilding it to be on the safe side (while it's out of the car).

Have any of you non-mechanics ever rebuilt a 4-speed toploader using Toploader Heaven's Master Rebuild Kit (or other kit)?

Was it easy? How long did it take?

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I SO want to hear an answer to this question too, as I also bought Toploader in similar condition, except no signs of moisture.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have rebuilt a 3-speed before and found it quite simple. I had a machine shop press on and off the front and rear bearings. Turned out the rear one was worn and causing vibration to travel down the drive shaft. The needle bearings were a PITA, you have to use a lot of grease like you would on a U-joint. Refilling the tranny before reinstalling is not a good idea unless you have a stopper on the end of the tailshaft housing! Took a day to do the job.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Why I have not used that exact kit I expect it similar to most.

The biggest trick is finding a "dummy" shaft for the idler gearset. You need it to keep the needle bearings installed correctly. I use a specially calibrated piece of broomstick. The other tricker area are the shifter is the detent balls.

You can do it, it's very straight forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts