Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been answered, but I was unable to find it;

I got my transmission back from overhaul but failed to notice which linkage went where...I am hoping someon can help with this including direction of the linkage (top or bottom of mount) . The images on the web do not seem to match my application.

Also, when I install my shifter and tighten the bolts to the transmission, it is NOT a tight fit. There is a gap and altough I cannot tighten to bolts anymore there is much 'wiggle' between the shifter and linkage mechanism. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
1. the top linkage is label Z-90-C
2. the middle linkage is 65 A G
3. there is no markings on the longest linkage,

Attachments

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Hope this is some help:

Your shifter, though, will operate like total crap without the special thick hardened washers. Only source I know for these is Glazier/Nolan, p/n G07159. Dunno why everyone else sells handle kits without them. They are indispensable.

Although not "correct" for 64-65, the 66-68 lower shift boot is an excellent addition, to keep dirt and heat and noise out of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I think this will help a lot.

Regarding the washers; I assume they are installed between the ****er and base. Or, or they installed under the bolt shoulder.

Thanks again...
I dont know why a kit is sold without them!

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Thanks...I think this will help a lot.

Regarding the washers; I assume they are installed between the ****er and base. Or, or they installed under the bolt shoulder.
They go on the shoulder bolt first. Then the bolt is inserted through the rubber grommet, and screwed into the lower lever. Thin standard washers won't compress the grommet enough, and of course will bend after only a few shifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts