Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some problems with my 4-sp toploader shifter... Shifter is sometimes hard to move and gets stuck in gears. To me it seems likes the shifter linkage is binding up or the rods are getting stuck on one another. Does anyone have a picture of how the rods should be connected to the shifter bracket? Not sure I have the right size washers on them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
This months Mustang monthly has an article on shifter's rebuilding and a picture of a toploader with all the linkage

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I discovered my problem. Not the original tranny in the car. Toploader was replaced with a T10 at some point. This might be causing some linkage issues as I have been adjusting for a toploader.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the binding and getting stuck in gears happen both while driving and when the car is off?

Mine is smooth when the car is off and when upshifting while driving but downshifting while driving takes a lot of force.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
I think I discovered my problem. Not the original tranny in the car. Toploader was replaced with a T10 at some point. This might be causing some linkage issues as I have been adjusting for a toploader.
the adjustment is done the same way for either transmission.

the 1-2 and the 3-4 transmission shifter levers are put midway in their travel & the reverse lever is put all the way out of reverse, then put the aligning rod thru the holes in the shifter mechanism, finally tighten up the nuts on the shifter rods. that's it.

Z.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The shifter was identical on the toploader or T10. The rods, of course, were different. Many 65-66 Mustangs came from the factory with the T10, so there's a lot of them out there. The door tag code was the same for either.

·
Registered
583 Posts
aww i hope i dont is what i think it is. i had the same problem when my tranny was not built correctly. the detents and lock outs were missing. and it would have truble going into gear then gettting stuck but one of the problems was that one of those levers that attack up to the transmition was the on the wrong way so i fliped it and then it worked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the adjustment is done the same way for either transmission.

the 1-2 and the 3-4 transmission shifter levers are put midway in their travel & the reverse lever is put all the way out of reverse, then put the aligning rod thru the holes in the shifter mechanism, finally tighten up the nuts on the shifter rods. that's it.

Z.
Thanks. That's how I adjusted it. I think my problem is with the washers. I doubled up washers on the shifter end of the rods to tighten things up but I think that's wrong. Maybe there needs to be a little slop so they get caught up on one another.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the binding and getting stuck in gears happen both while driving and when the car is off?

Mine is smooth when the car is off and when upshifting while driving but downshifting while driving takes a lot of force.
When car is off or idling, things seem fine. Getting stuck in gear after driving for a few minutes and downshifting from 4 to 3 is a pain. Really have to throw the shifter into 3.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The shifter was identical on the toploader or T10. The rods, of course, were different. Many 65-66 Mustangs came from the factory with the T10, so there's a lot of them out there. The door tag code was the same for either.

The only difference I see from the TL and the T10 is the reverse shift lever on the trans is pointed down while the 1/2 and 3/4 levers are pointed up. Is that correct for the T10? Mine levers all point up but pictures I have seen have the R lever pointed down. I'm confused.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have a beautiful car astoy, I hope you get this worked out so you can enjoy driving that car without any trouble. :thumbsup:
Thanks Dude. Other than the occasional shift problems, the car runs beautifully.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The only difference I see from the TL and the T10 is the reverse shift lever on the trans is pointed down while the 1/2 and 3/4 levers are pointed up. Is that correct for the T10? Mine levers all point up but pictures I have seen have the R lever pointed down. I'm confused.
Depends. In Mustangs, R was left-and-down. In Fairlanes and Falcons R was left and up. T position of the small lever was what determined that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts