Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds silly, but while working on my shift linkage this weekend, I noticed that the Toploader in the car is missing the drain plug. There is a machined flat on the bottom of the housing, but its solid. No hole for a drain plug. Tranny is a RUG-AW in '70 Boss 302, although this identification is based on the tag hanging on the side of the housing. Factory mistake, or am I looking at a non-original housing?

Carl

·
Registered
146 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the later model toplaoders did not have drain plugs. I have a 71 Sportsroof that the PO removed the 4-speed for an auto. I am going back with the 4-speed and the case I found is for a 71 and it did not have a drain plug. I have since torn it down and had my machine drill and tap one for me. Hope it helps.

Louis

·
Registered
146 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the later model toploaders did not have drain plugs. I have a 71 Sportsroof that the PO removed the 4-speed for an auto. I am going back with the 4-speed and the case I found is for a 71 and it did not have a drain plug. I have since torn it down and had my machine drill and tap one for me. Hope it helps.

Louis

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I had one the same way on my first 69 Mach 1. I think there are alot of these out as I also have a friend that had one.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

G

·
0 Posts
Starting sometime in 68 the drain plug was eliminated. Yours is correct for your Boss 302. I have the same one in my 70 Mach1.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
In 1968 Ford changed the case internally to add a big magnet and in mid year 1969 Ford stopped putting drain plugs in the cases but left the outside boss. Yours is correct.
What Art said about the bottom tail-housing bolt is a pretty neat trick to drain the grease.
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts