Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fastback will be painted soon, and I'm torn between choosing the color for it. It has original color, which is Wimbleton White. Should I keep the same color, or change it? Please, any advice and suggestion about the colors is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
When I did my FB, that was the HARDEST choice I had to make. What I did was have my bodyshop guy give me some old paint sample books (PPG) and I started looking. Once I came up with 4 or 5 (hundred? LOL) choices, I started looking at new/used car lots for the color on an actual car. I also hit Goodguys. What I found was that the paint samples didn't always show good on an actual car. Once I was down to 2 or 3, I had my body guy paint a metal sample (1 foot square) and I lived with it for a couple of weeks. I definitely changed my mind a bunch of times but at the end I was very pleased with the result. The running joke in my club was "So, what color is it going to be this month?" Since this was going to be one shot thing, taking the time was well worth it.
Stan

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I don't know if you've heard about this but Peterson Tractor on Marina is doing a car show on April 15 from 4-8:30 that some of us are going to. If you want to come out call Kathy Gorham 510.618.5562 or Cindy Figueiredo 510.618.5503 and I'm sure they can get you into the show. I believe it's free to the public if you can't bring your car. Also, our club is meeting on Tues the 12th in Castro Valley at 7:30. We'd love to have you stop by.
Stan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info, Stan. I can't make it to the club meeting on 04/12 because i'm busy on Tueaday and Thusday everning, However, I'll try to go to the car show on 04/15.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Unless your car is an ultra-rare vehicle, it's ok to change the color. You can always go back. I followed Aslan's MO. When at car shows I noticed the colors I liked and got the names. My painter also sprayed a few test sheets. Once I chose the color, I agonized for weeks over the size of metal flake I would use. Since I took my time making my decisions, I was very happy with the outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts