Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Torq Thrust D's On A 73'

531 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken_in_MD 
#1 ·
I'm finally making up my mind about which wheels to get (I'm still not 100% sure...). The reason I think I'm going with the TTD's is because I've seen to many 71-73 stangs' with the Mag 500's. But, my question is, would I have to make any backspacing mods to put 15x8.5? If so, is it difficult to make this mod (I'm not quite sure how the backspacing works)? Thanks!

-Art Nuñez

#3 ·
The issue with true TTDs is they only come in one B/S, 3.75. Even with the 8.5" width you will quickly run into tread width limitations against the fender lip because the wheel is so far outboard with that B/S. Am. Racing does offer the TT2 with gray painted spokes w/ custom backspacing but they are not one piece, take up to eight weeks to get, and are upwards of $250 each. That is to say, I believe you could put the 8.5s in without any mods (such as rolling or cutting outer fender lip: bad idea) but you would have to keep the tread width narrow (like 225 or 235). Presumably since you're looking at the 8.5 you want a wider tire.

I wanted a one piece cast aluminum wheel, wanted it fairly quickly, and wanted more than TTD B/S. So I went with the Vintage 45s from Vintage Wheel Works. Excellent customer service and quick turnaround too.

FYI, these are 16x8" with 4.5" B/S. I have 255R50/16s Dunlops on back and there are no clearance issues. There is plenty room for MORE B/S (probably up to 5.5") so if I'd been willing to wait for customs from A/R I could have fit a much wider tire. But the 255s look mighty nice and gave me the effect I was after. 225R50/16s on front.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.