Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to pick up a set of 16" Torq Thrust Originals to go with the white stripes on my 67, so you can imagine my surprise when I found that they only make them in 15" or 17". My worry is that 15's will look too small like the current 14" wheels I have on, or the 17's will make me look like a lowrider.

Any suggestions? Oh, and if anyone just so happens to know some good looking 16" white painted wheels, that'd be fantastic.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a set of 15" on my 67 fastback, I am actually also looking for 16".
BUT, I think I would rather have my 15's over some 17's, in my opinion, they can look a little pimped out sometimes, if you know what i mean.
But hey, everyone has their own style. Do what you want

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Shelby didn't think 15" looked to bad back in the day. It's probably more about whether you're going "old school" or the modern bling route. It also depends on your tires. 15" would look bad if you went with a 40 series tire but pretty good with a set of 60 series.
Personal preference. (I went with 15" on my '68 GT FB but I'm old school and have gray hair to prove it!)

Best to check out pictures of the same year and model in the same color with both size. There are lots of pictures available on multiple forum sites.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Carl 1701
Love the look...I too bought 15x7" Torq Thrust D but cant decided on what size tires to go with. I want the wheel well filled up and as much rubber on the road as I can get.......what size did you go with?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I was scared that 15" would look small also, I am so happy I went with that size.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
15" with 60 series tires

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
The 15" TTD's are great looking, and contrary to conventional wisdom, great tires CAN be found, although certainly not the selection that's available in 17".

Z.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I first tried 15" torque thrust and I wanted a more modern look. I tried 17" modern torque thrust and looked horrible on my period correct looking clone that I was building. I ended up using these 16" (Vintage Wheel 45). Really nice finished hardware. It was the right compromise of original look, with a modern flair for me.

16 x 8 , 4 1/2 back spacing. 225/50/16's on the front and 225/55/16's on the back. Shorter springs in front, lowering blocks in back. I had to roll the fender lips, adjust the fender position to get everything to stop rubbing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm partial to the old school look on the older stangs.... the '69 below has 15" while the fox we run 17"
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Id say go old school 15's all the way. But i would say that since i just bought a set of 15" AR TTD's. btw, I am trying to decide on which 60 series tires to run. Anyone with sizes and pics would be great. I have a new set of leaf springs in rear and new 1" drop coils in front. Trying to find something that wont rub. The TTD's are 3.75 backspacing.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I have pretty much settled on American Racing Torq Thrust II the slightly more modern ones. Still trying to decide polished or painted. They come in 16" and lots of different backspaces which I need because my 9" is narrowed. I actually think they look better, a little more shapely. Check out Summit racing but what I am really trying to figure out is how to get them cheap. I have 16x8 non torque thrusts now wth 225 50 16s on them and I love the look (Just roll the fenders and they fit. 16" gives a hint of modern with enough respect for old school to work. I think these torq thrust IIs have the same attitude. They are the ones salagi has above. They also have 16x7s for those that don't want to roll...

M

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
16's are available. But as was mentioned, there are clearance issues. I'm running them on my '65 and it's reeeealllly close. If I had to do it over, I would look for tires first just to see what pricing and availabilty is out there and let that weigh into the decision.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You need the American Racing Torq Thrust Classics, they are available in 16"x8" in custom offsets. I have a set ready to go on my '67 with BFG G-Force Sport 245/50/16's and 4.5" of backspace. Perfect fit with no clearance issues that I can see.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
You need the American Racing Torq Thrust Classics, they are available in 16"x8" in custom offsets. I have a set ready to go on my '67 with BFG G-Force Sport 245/50/16's and 4.5" of backspace. Perfect fit with no clearance issues that I can see................."
I envy you guys with the '67's & later models. You have a lot more flexibility with wheel & tire sizes than us '65 & '66 owners.

Z.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My '68 with 235/60's on 15"

·
Registered
353 Posts
Personally:

Yeah, you can get a full 13in rotor in a 17in wheel but I'm not fond of the look on the '65-66 cars, it's okay on the later ones. Plenty of good choices in 235/45-17, 245/45-17, 255/40-17 tires last time I looked.

16in looks right on pretty much any of them. Good options in 225/50-16, 225/55-16 tires, a few decent 245/50-16s.

15in is a problem because there's bugger-all decent-quality 15in tires any more. The only tires Tire Rack lists in a 225/60-15 that are of - by my standards - even decent performance-tire characteristics are the BFG g-force Sport and the Kumho Ecsta ASX. There are no 225/55-15s (which would be the same diameter as a 225/50-16, and IMO good for a '65-66), there are no 215/55-15s, only a couple decent 215/60-15s and none that are first-tier performance tires. There's one acceptable 235/60-15 but it's an old design (Pirelli P6000) and it's expensive ($218), no 245/60-15s. So unless you're prepared to accept an S-rated fat-and-sloppy tire like a BFG Radial T/A, 15in wheels can be a problem.

Have you considered a different wheel like a 16x8 Vintage 45 or Vintage 48?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts