Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking through my mustang catalogs for replacement sheet metal I saw that they sell "torque boxes". This is a total noob question, but how exactly does a torque box help stiffen up the car? Looking at the sheet metal in the picture I wasn't even sure where the thing went, but after looking around online I saw a Mustang Monthly article where they put them on a coupe underneath the toe board. Do they really make that much of a difference on a coupe or fastback? I'm no engineer but I don't see how that little bit of sheet metal is going to help. They don't look all that impressive.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It works on the principle of boxing for strength. The inner and outer rocker panel was not connected to the frame rails on early 67 cars. The BX connectes the front frame rails with the front of the outer rockers with a triangle shaped box. The TB itself is a pretty stout piece and is one of the thickest steel parts on the entire unibody.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it worth adding them? They aren't real expensive, I just wondered how much they helped the handling.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
For most cruisers it won't make much of a noticeable difference, if any. If you're going with some higher HP and plan on beating on it a little bit, I'd add them.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i added them and subframe connectors on my 65 fstbk. made a big difference. i actually have a "frame" now. but millions running around without either.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Santa left some subframe connectors for my FB and I plan on a pretty healthy drivetrain, so it sounds like they're going to go on too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I installed them on my car. I may never need the extra strength but figured why not since i was at that point anyways.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am in the process of putting these in now. Mine came with the drivers side and since I am redoing the floor, decided not only to put a new one on that side, but one on the passenger side too.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Thay also take the load off the firewall .
On a early car 64.5-67 they have none or one . The firewall supports ALL of the front of the car . The firewall welds to the engine bay aprons , the 2 tabs on the front frame rail , and the floor/seat support under the floor pan . So , you see the only thing tying the front frame to the rear frame is the floor pans and firewall .

With the TB's installed , you get all of those attach points PLUS the inner rocker panel (which is like aboxed frame) is welded to the outer side of the front frame rails and under the floor/seat support . It welds to the rocker panel in 2 places .
So , now IMO you almost have a true frame running the length of the car , minus the rear TB's are not the biggests and best connected to the rockers , but they try :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts