Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to mate the engine up to the bell housing.
It seems the torque converter is not seated deep enough in the bell.
Does this look correct. ?
We have taken the TC out and re seated it but when we tighten up the bell house bolts the fly wheel tightens up.

67 Auto 6cyl

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
What is the measurement from the bell mounting surface to the mounting pad on the converter. In the pic it looks a little shallow. Your block plate is installed correct? and you aligned the drain plug with the hole in the flexplate? You can pull out the input shaft and make sure it slides in and out of the converter and is installed in the transmission fully. Did you feel all 3 indexes on the converter as you installed it? you should have about 1/8" of free play from the converter to the flexplate when trans is installed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Just the first 2. See second pic I posted.

the smallest spline is extended. We got it to retract once but we pulled it back out and now we can’t get it back into the position Where it needs to be. We were tapping the shaft and I was shifting from drive reverse and the inner spline just Inserted to the correct depth. Now we cannot replicate.
Does this make sense.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You should not have to tap the input shaft to get it engaged fully. Remove it and check the splines for damage. It should push in with relative ease and just need a little turn and wiggle as you push it in fully.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the splines are aligned. No damage

problem is the shaft is extended by an inch. See photo.
We can’t get shaft to insert further. Once that happens the TC will seat easily

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I can see it is out too far, If all the splines were aligned it would be seated fully. hopefully you did not damage the pump. Remove the shaft, lube it with trans fluid and reinstall it. it should slide in easily with just a little turn and wiggle to seat fully. Is this a 1969 and older c4 with the same splines on both ends? if so try and install the shaft using the other end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the shaft will not go in or out. We cannot remove it unless we are missing something. Should it just slide out. It won’t.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yes, it should pull out easily. Wrap a leather belt or something like good cloth around the shaft and use channel locks and try to pull the shaft out while turning at the same time without marring it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We spent the last hour trying to remove it, it’s stuck in the position shown in the above photo.

it did move freely once , we got it fully inserted then we pulled it out. It can’t out about 6 inches then we decided to put it back in. It only inserted to point shown above.

appreciate your help

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
If you are unable to get the shaft out pull the trans and unless you are comfortable removing the front pump and reinstalling it take it to a shop and have it done. probably cost you about $200 to fix it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are unable to get the shaft out pull the trans and unless you are comfortable removing the front pump and reinstalling it take it to a shop and have it done. probably cost you about $200 to fix it.
ok so I just used a belt and vice grips, the shaft is not coming out.

tomorrow we will pull the tranny.

Are you saying the reason the shaft is stuck is the pump ? or the pump is in the way of freeing up the shaft ?

as I mentioned, the shaft did move freely once tonight. maybe when we re inserted it we twisted the shaft so now the splines are no longer aligned where there were previously.

im sure we are capable of removing the pump and reinstalling it. are you saying after the pump is removed the shaft will come free ? then do I need to replace the shaft or just reinstall ?

thanks again

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
This is not my area of expertise but if you cannot get the shaft out i am pretty sure the pump will need to be removed. With the amount of shaft you have showing you have just barely engaged the splines and may have damaged them, especially if you tried to tap the shaft in. If you go on the Ford Muscle forum they have a c4 section. Look up Gregaust and send him a message or post up your problem. He is really good with the c4 trans and will help you out. Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is not my area of expertise but if you cannot get the shaft out i am pretty sure the pump will need to be removed. With the amount of shaft you have showing you have just barely engaged the splines and may have damaged them, especially if you tried to tap the shaft in. If you go on the Ford Muscle forum they have a c4 section. Look up Gregaust and send him a message or post up your problem. He is really good with the c4 trans and will help you out. Keep us posted on the outcome.
do you mean I may have damaged the splines on the side shown in the photo or the internal splines we cant see in the photo.

how can I tell if I have a C4 ? should I not assume this ? my friend said it was but im not positive

what is the name of the pump that needs to be removed ?

im heading to find Gregaust

thanks

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
probably a c4 from what i can see. It is the front pump. contact Greg and let us know what he says

·
Just some guy
20,219 Posts
Since we're posting the same problem concurrently on two threads, I'll just copy and paste my reply from the other one.

"
Ugh. I quite frankly didn't know you could do that on a C4. I've seen it MANY times on later model 5R55W's though. Last one was a real bear. I have a pair good quality vice grips that I clamped on the input shaft that have a fitting on them accepts a slide hammer. I had to beat it pretty hard to get it out. That one scored the splines a bit but I was able to smooth them back out with a hand file. Usually I clamp the vice grips on the shaft sideways, normally, like you would on a bolt. Then take a long prybar and using the edge of the bellhousing I can use the vice grips as a pry point and pop the input shaft on out. Since this aligns the teeth of the vice grips with the splines it barely makes a mark on them if they slip a bit. The slide hammer method requires clamping at a right angle and a lot tighter as they have less grip on the shaft in that orientation. Hopefully you don't have to resort to that method.

I'm sure once you get it out it will slide right back in when you get it lined up properly. That has been my experience. I frankly have no idea how such splined shafts can get misaligned but they surely can and do. "

1 - 18 of 18 Posts