Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the body is work is being done, I am working on the engine/tranny, and need a new converter.
I have a rebuilt .30 over 302 2v w/ mild cam, rebuilt C4 w/ heavy duty bands/ Stage I kit, and want to put a better than stock converter. Rear is going to stay 8" open for now, ( due to my cousin Fundsalo) , but might go to an 8.8" posi out of a crown Vic. Any suggestions for a converter?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
knowing what your rear gearing is, would be very important in contrast to choosing a converter for yourself. but on the street usually you want to stay pretty mild. if you HAVE a decent cam, and good rear gears something like 3.55 or maybe deeper. you could use something in the 2200-2400 range if youd like. for a street driven car, i dont think youd enjoy going much farther than that . ive ridden in friends' cars with converters, and it gets a bit annoying if you get too radical with them

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
What rear gear ratio, what engine compression ratio and what are specs of "mild" camshaft? Intake and carb model?

Also, what will be prospective use? Is vehicle weight at or near OEM?

Get back to us....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some more info to help with making a recommendation:
Engine bored .030" over and balanced, concourse rebuilt Autolite 2100 ( Pony Carbs) , stock 2 barrel cast iron manifold, Hypereutectic Pistons w/ 9.2:1 compression, split duration cam w/ 204 Int 214 Exh duration @.050", stock 8" open rear w/ 2.75 gears, ( I know) , did put in a pertronix ignition, roller rockers, dbl roller timing chain, will have Hi Po exhaust manifold, and dual exhaust. The car should be at stock weight. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Given what you've shared, I'd suggest an 11" converter like the TCI Streetfighter or its equivilent in your favorite brand (I run TCI products in the race car so am most familiar with them). With a 4V manifold and carb and a bit more gear, say 3.25's or 3.50's, you could run a 10" converter but I think that might be a bit much, especially if the car is a driver. I ran a B&M 11" converter in my street racer (doubled as work car and college transport) and it worked fine for the 5 years or so I ran the combo. About the same combo as yours (with 4V and 3.50's) and ran mid 14's at the track (14.0's with 4.62's) in street trim (tires).

Consider an external trans fluid cooler with a converter change....

Good luck..sounds like fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts