Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to replace the 302 in my 69 mustang with a new block and a later casting than the original. I did not mark the torque converter and the fly wheel when I removed the old engine and was wondering if there is any specific position that the torque converter should be in with the new engine and fly wheel? Could someone please let me know. I have a C4 transmission and I drained the torque converter prior to stabbing the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The flywheel will only bolt on the motor correctly one way. After that is on, all you have to do is make sure the tourqe convertor drain plug is in the proper hole in the fly wheel, and make sure the studs are lined up with the holes.... and thats pretty much it. Make sure when you mate the tranny to the motor these don't bind, and the studs pass through the flexplate.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The flexplate will only bolt to the crankshaft one way . Otherwise the bolt holes will not line up . When installing the converter make sure to put in some fresh fluid . Then install the converter and slowly turn several times until the converter and the input shaft are fully seated . I believe that the converter will engage/pop twice when turning .

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Thanks , forgot to mention aligning the bolt/plug .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts