Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it absolutely, positively necessary to torque plate a 351C for a basic engine rebuild. I plan on keeping things stock, engine will never see anything past 4500-5000 rpm's

G

·
0 Posts
The reason to hone with the torque plates is so the cylinder walls are stressed and honed properly round the same as when the head is installed.
That said,If all you are doing is a clean up hone, then no its not really needed,but if you are honing to an oversize ei:10 over then ideally it should be done.

Greg B

·
Registered
277 Posts
in Car Craft from a few months ago they bored some engines, died the walls, then bored with a torque plate. on the chevy engines you could see a distinct difference. in the 302 they bored (the only for i believe), the difference was almost negligible. take this to mean however you'd like it. i take it to mean chevy engines are weak :)

my shop torque plate bored for an additional $35. worth it for the peace of mind i think.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
It's not necessary for a stock rebuild as long as you're not going more than .040" over...

If you're going .060" over, I'd spend the extra money since the fasteners may distort the thinner cylinder wall enough to be really noticeable...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Just read an text that I saved some time ago that agrees with your post:
The longer stroke and shorter rods will increase the side loads on the cylinders, so I prefer to keep as much metal in there as possible. After boring the block will have to be honed. Some shops use torque plates. The small Ford isn't plagued by the bore distortion problems of, say, the small Chevy, so it's not really necessary to use torque plates.

Copyright 1998, Dave Williams. All rights reserved.
Hope you don't mind this, Dave.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 5 of 5 Posts