Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rule of thumb do most of you use when you torque your bolts if they dont require a torque specific spec? For example, this weekend I will be putting my front suspension back together but I dont think I will use my torque wrench to get everything absolutly correct. I will be using air tools to put everything back together.

Thanks,
Rus

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this but i've never used a torque wrench on anything like that :rolleyes:
The only time I get it out is when I'm working on the engine. Although I do shy away from using air tools to sock things down to get the feel I'm looking for. That's just the way my Dad taught me, it's worked for 30 years or so

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had a professional tell me that he used a 3/8" impact wrench for everything suspension related. Never checked torque, just used his 3/8"s. I know from experience that my 3/8" air ratchet torque's to about 35lbs, works for me.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Well I just installed my homemade and self designed adjustable strut rods and I torqued the cross bolt (the Cobra Automotive type install) down to 100 foot pounds - I don't want it to move or give in the slightest.

Generally my rule of thumb is to simply look up the torque spec. Everything on the suspension has a factory spec.

John Harvey

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The 1965 Ford Service Manual has a specifications page that gives generic torque specs for diffrent sized bolts. I suspect ARP's website might have the same thing. I am away from the house at present and do not have access to the Service Manual.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Just like Ken, if I can't find it in the torque spec section of what ever I'm working on, then I go by the spec for the bolt size per the '65 Mustang shop manual.

Dean T

·
Registered
408 Posts
Try this Torque Specs

When no specific torque is given in the manuals, this is a good general purpose guide.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
this weekend I will be putting my front suspension back together but I dont think I will use my torque wrench to get everything absolutly correct.
Please remind me never to ride in your car! :horror:

At freeway speeds or more, the suspension starts becomming rather important. If something lets go (under torqued) or breaks (over torqued), you may not be around to ask for the doofus award.

There's 2 places where I ALWAYS use my torque wrench ... my engine and my front suspension.

There are a couple things that are done by sight (sway bar end links), but the vast majority of the front suspension needs to be torqued to specs. If you have the torque wrench, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't put it to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts