Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you I get blasted with the "if you had a shop manual"... I don't have one, sorry. :grin2:

I'm not sure if they matter from year to year, but my engine is a 302 out of '71 Mustang. I need the following torque specs:

Oil pan
Intake manifold
Timing cover
Water pump
Oil pump
Flywheel (Manual transmission)
Bell housing to block
Transmission to bell housing
Harmonic balancer
Driveshaft to rear pinion
Main caps (Replacing rear main seal)
Fuel pump
Fuel pump eccentric (cam)

I'm also replacing the valve stem seals, so are there any specific torque spec to tighten the rockers down to? They are just stock rockers.

Did I miss any? The only thing I am not doing is pulling the heads.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
35,298 Posts
Before you I get blasted with the "if you had a shop manual"... I don't have one, sorry. :grin2:

I'm not sure if they matter from year to year, but my engine is a 302 out of '71 Mustang. I need the following torque specs:

In lb./ft. unless noted otherwise.

Oil pan 7-9 on the 1/4" bolts, 9-11 on the 5/16"
Intake manifold 14-16
Timing cover 12-15
Water pump 12-15
Oil pump 23-28 (oil pump cover plate 6-9)
Flywheel (Manual transmission) 75-85
Bell housing to block 50
Transmission to bell housing 37-42
Harmonic balancer 70-90
Driveshaft u-bolt nuts to rear pinion yoke 7-10
Main caps (Replacing rear main seal) 60-70 for OEM bolts with threads oiled.
Fuel pump 20-25
Fuel pump eccentric (cam) 30-35

I'm also replacing the valve stem seals, so are there any specific torque spec to tighten the rockers down to? They are just stock rockers.

Valve cover bolts 3-5.
Thermostat housing 12-15.
Oil Pump Pickup 12-15.

Thanks!

Tim
yw.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Before you I get blasted with the "if you had a shop manual"... I don't have one, sorry.

Oil pan to block 7-9 (1/4) 9-11 (5/16) Ft lb
Intake manifold 20-22 ft lb
Timing cover 12-15 ft lb
Water pump 12-15 ft lb
Oil pump to block 23-28 ft lb
Flywheel (Manual transmission) to crankshaft 75-85 ft lb
Bell housing to block 40-50 ft lb
Transmission to bell housing 37-42 ft lb
Harmonic balancer 70-90 ft lb
Driveshaft to rear pinion pinion flange U-bolt nuts 12-15
Main caps (Replacing rear main seal ) 60-70 ft lb
Fuel pump to front cover 20-25 ft lb
Fuel pump eccentric (cam) Camshaft sprocket to camshaft 40-45 ft lb

On a 71 they should be 'positive stop' rocker arms/studs. Should be 17-23 ft lb

Thanks!

Tim
^^ From my 1968 Ford Shop Manual

Paul

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
OK, So you don't have a shop manual, is there a reason for that, financial or whatever ? You know you can order one thru Amazon pretty easily.

If you can't afford one, (I've been there) PM me and I'll buy you one.

I understand helping out with these kind of questions, but it's my beliefs that peope learn more by showing them how to help themselves. (Yes I know that attitude might make me a dinosaur.)

Z

·
Registered
762 Posts
zray, I'm broke. Wanna' buy me a shop manual?

No, just kidding. So far, I've gotten by with excerpts that I've found Online... pieces specific to whatever part I'm currently working on. For me, this is just a stop-gap solution as I know that I must eventually squirrel away funds to buy a manual (and I will, I promise).

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, So you don't have a shop manual, is there a reason for that, financial or whatever ? You know you can order one thru Amazon pretty easily.

If you can't afford one, (I've been there) PM me and I'll buy you one.

I understand helping out with these kind of questions, but it's my beliefs that peope learn more by showing them how to help themselves. (Yes I know that attitude might make me a dinosaur.)

Z
Z,

I've just never gotten around to it, however, this site is such a great tool that supplements or even supplants a shop manual, that the answer to everyone's questions should not always be, "look in the shop manual". That's not an attack on you or me trying to be a smart *****, but that saying is so cliche' like "use the search function". If everyone has a shop manual, what would be the point of this site? Funds are not an issue with a $250k salary, but thank you for your kind gesture. You have been very helpful to me in the past, Z, so please don't take my response personal... I get what you are saying.

Tim

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Z,

I've just never gotten around to it, however, this site is such a great tool that supplements or even supplants a shop manual, that the answer to everyone's questions should not always be, "look in the shop manual". That's not an attack on you or me trying to be a smart *****, but that saying is so cliche' like "use the search function". If everyone has a shop manual, what would be the point of this site? Funds are not an issue with a $250k salary, but thank you for your kind gesture. You have been very helpful to me in the past, Z, so please don't take my response personal... I get what you are saying.

Tim

I certainly don't take your reply personal. I would add that I don't view the VFM as a replacement for the shop manual, or the manual as a replacement for the VMF. Both are great resources and supplement each other.

Even though I'm living in retirement on $1,100 social security monthly, (happily) and you are still slaving away for the 250k yearly, I'll still spring for a shop manual for you ANYTIME, giving is the best high & Christmas in July is a beautiful concept.

Z

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Paul,

I disagree! Bart can probably recite those numbers in his sleep!!! lol He probably has a few shop manuals memorized in that big brain of his.

Tim
I dont understand - What are you disagreeing with? I gave you the answers you wanted and I told you where I got them. Are you saying bartls memory is better than me spending the time to look all that up for you? And if you havent noticed some of our answers arent the same. Is that my 'thank you'?

Paul

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I certainly don't take your reply personal. I would add that I don't view the VFM as a replacement for the shop manual, or the manual as a replacement for the VMF. Both are great resources and supplement each other.

Even though I'm living in retirement on $1,100 social security monthly, (happily) and you are still slaving away for the 250k yearly, I'll still spring for a shop manual for you ANYTIME, giving is the best high & Christmas in July is a beautiful concept.

Z
Guys like you, Bart, Paul and others have many shop manuals stored in your heads and are a wealth of knowledge and always a great help to guys like me on this site. My Dad was old school as well while he was alive and had every Chilton or Haynes manual for every make, model and year car ever made. He made his living with his hands, which to me is some of the hardest work on the planet. To say that I am slaving away for my salary is a shot in the dark, knowing that you have no idea what I do for a living. I did almost 22 years Active Duty Air Force (Special Ops) before I retired last year and I am an engineer that works in my office, from home, and travel when I need to. I wake up when I want, play with my 2 year old daughter for a good portion of the day, as often as I like, and come and go as I please, happily. There are no shackles or chains in my life and going to work in my PJ's all day long is the furthest thing you could compare slave labor to. :grin2:

If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I will glad to share a beer or two and a conversation or two with you. Your generosity and willingness to give the shirt off of your back, just like I would for others, goes a long way in a world where not much of that is left and is very hard to find.

:cheers:

Tim

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont understand - What are you disagreeing with? I gave you the answers you wanted and I told you where I got them. Are you saying bartls memory is better than me spending the time to look all that up for you? And if you havent noticed some of our answers arent the same. Is that my 'thank you'?

Paul
Paul,

I apologize... My disagreement (jokingly) was referring to Bart getting that from the shop manual, knowing that he probably has that information memorized. I wasn't really disagreeing with you at all, just making a joke that Bart didn't need to crack the manual open to get those specs, as he knows them by heart. My apologies if it came out the wrong way.

Tim

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I did almost 22 years Active Duty Air Force (Special Ops) before I retired last year

Tim
Thank you for your service.

Sorry I missed the joke - I guess I need one of bartls self imposed time outs. Good luck with the engine.

Paul

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

Paul

Did you detect the LOL?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts