Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am pretty sure my small torque wrench is way off for small values. I unload the wrench after use and I never dropped it. Looks like re-calibrating is more expensive compared to getting a new one (crazy world!) if you don't use a Snap On or similar tool. Anyway, my question is can I test my other torque wrench somewhere for free? I want to make sure my 1/2" is still in range. Is this something Autozone or O'reilly offers as service? I saw videos of people applying some gym weights to the torque wrench, but I don't want to go that route and I don't want to buy a tester.

Any input is welcome :)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The old bending beam torque wrenches are usually within +or-3% for the whole scale, and they usually will maintain the 3% for the life in the wrench. You can set up a test, comparing your wrench against the bending beam type to insure your click type are within spec. Most click types are at 4% but only in the middle of the scale. My 250 ft/lb wrench starts at 20 ft/lb but it's probably not correct up until 50 or 60 ft lbs

Reactions: 66coupe289

·
Premium Member
13,224 Posts
The old bending beam torque wrenches are usually within +or-3% for the whole scale, and they usually will maintain the 3% for the life in the wrench. You can set up a test, comparing your wrench against the bending beam type to insure your click type are within spec. Most click types are at 4% but only in the middle of the scale. My 250 ft/lb wrench starts at 20 ft/lb but it's probably not correct up until 50 or 60 ft lbs

I have an old 1/2" drive bending beam torque wrench. I welded two 1/2" sockets together. I connect my 1/2" clicker to my 1/2" bending beam with the "coupler". I set my clicker to 100 ft lbs and then apply pressure with the bending beam and watch the scale to see when the clicker clicks.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I have one from the 80s that was never re calibrated.
I spoke to SnapOn and they said id have to ship it back them them

I could not find a local truck that would do it. they said they no longer provide the service
I checked that with a local shop owner that I know well and he confirmed it

so I checked it against his at 15 30 50 60 80 and 100 Lbs. his click matched up to mine

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I have an old 1/2" drive bending beam torque wrench. I welded two 1/2" sockets together. I connect my 1/2" clicker to my 1/2" bending beam with the "coupler". I set my clicker to 100 ft lbs and then apply pressure with the bending beam and watch the scale to see when the clicker clicks.
I just checked a couple of mine like that, but instead of welding 2 sockets together I think I was able to use a 5/8" (maybe 9/16") 12pt socket to fit on the 1/2" drive of the beam wrench.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Hello,

I am pretty sure my small torque wrench is way off for small values. I unload the wrench after use and I never dropped it. Looks like re-calibrating is more expensive compared to getting a new one (crazy world!) if you don't use a Snap On or similar tool. Anyway, my question is can I test my other torque wrench somewhere for free? I want to make sure my 1/2" is still in range. Is this something Autozone or O'reilly offers as service? I saw videos of people applying some gym weights to the torque wrench, but I don't want to go that route and I don't want to buy a tester.

Any input is welcome :)

Thanks
This doesn't help you much now...but as a test, I have a plate of bolts torqued to various specs...if I suspect my torque wrench of being off, I will test it on this test panel to check it. One time I had a torque wrench that was so far off that I stripped a camshaft bolt hole....so ever since then I am paranoid and check my torque wrenches when doing engine work. The worst part is that I was carrying 2 torque wrenches...one I knew was bad and I was just using as a breaker bar....and that is the one I grabbed. Now, when using broken torque wrenches as a breaker bar, I weld them to make sure I cant mistakenly think they are good for anything else.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
This doesn't help you much now...but as a test, I have a plate of bolts torqued to various specs...if I suspect my torque wrench of being off, I will test it on this test panel to check it. One time I had a torque wrench that was so far off that I stripped a camshaft bolt hole....so ever since then I am paranoid and check my torque wrenches when doing engine work. The worst part is that I was carrying 2 torque wrenches...one I knew was bad and I was just using as a breaker bar....and that is the one I grabbed. Now, when using broken torque wrenches as a breaker bar, I weld them to make sure I cant mistakenly think they are good for anything else.
The problem with that is that the torque required to overcome static friction to get the bolt turning is greater than that of kinetic friction to get the bolt torqued initially.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The problem with that is that the torque required to overcome static friction to get the bolt turning is greater than that of kinetic friction to get the bolt torqued initially.
Very true...its not a perfect system, its just to make sure I am not using one that is significantly off, the bolts on the plate need to re-torqued whenever you freshly get a torque wrench calibrated.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have one from the 80s that was never re calibrated.
I spoke to SnapOn and they said id have to ship it back them them

I could not find a local truck that would do it. they said they no longer provide the service
I checked that with a local shop owner that I know well and he confirmed it
The truck can’t do the recalibration, they send it back to CDI. The truck should have the calibration tester as it’s required when they first get they franchise. Whether or not they display or use it is another thing.

Snap On bought CDI some years back so if one wants a pro quality torque wrench you can get mostly the same feature sets and identical quality in the CDI brand from others without the “Snap On tax” on the truck. Zoro has clickers for about 1/3 of what they want on the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts