Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen I have a 302 bored 60 thou. with Edelbrock Performer heads, intake, 600 CFM carb, Mallory dual point dist., headers, roller rockers and a cam of 218/228 dur. .471/.471 lift with 114 deg. lobe separation. Has anyone dynoed a similar set-up and what were the results? Edelbrock said that I have approx. 318 ft./lbs. and about 300 H.P. Does this sound right? Best regards John Las Vegas

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
1 to 1.2 HP/CI sounds about right for your combo.....C/R will have a bearing on the final numbers, especially in real world driveability.

Nice setup....I ran a similar combo in the race car years ago, with just slightly more lift to the cam and 12.97:1 CR and ran low 11's with it. Ran the 69 W iron heads. Aluminum Ford heads hadn't been invented yet..*G*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patrick I had hopes that you would reply. I certainly appreciate your informative details. I am now gyrating around with timing curves. The motor is quite crisp and responsive. However there is more available. I am using a close equivalent to the 67 Hi-Po curve (including copying the hop-out specs.) but I think the total advance is a bit high. Historical note!!!! I used to run an old flathead in the mid to late 50's at U.S 30 dragstrip!!! She was bored and stroked to the limit in those days. I tore everyone's wazoo up then---because I really paid attention to timing and curving. ( try that one on with those old vacuum units with a leather drag button !!). I think that I will try a MUCH faster advance. I would appreciate any suggestions you have in this area. The vehicle is show quality ( 68 Torino) and I hesitate to take it to the strip ( for fear of tearing something up) but will do so to obtain some real numbers. Best regards to you and yours. John Las Vegas. Might be nice to hit the strip after 35+ years!!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Well, you have a heavy car to move with that 302 (I remember many a fun weekend in a friends '70 Torino cruising the main when I was a kid) so your advance tolerance will likely be limited by the fuel and compression ratio...I'm guessing, unless you're running a domed piston, that the CR is, with the Edelbrock heads, somewhere in the 9.2 to 9.7:1 area.

IME, compression is one thing that makes these little engines sing....lots of compression, 36-38 degrees advance (maybe a bit more with your more open chambers), and good stable fuel.

FWIW, I ran better numbers with the little engines than with the current W...main difference (nearly everything else is similar) is that I ran an 8" converter (4.8K stall speed) and a single plane intake (angled Torker) with the little engines....even the 780 Holley is the same. The little engines had 69 W home-ported heads, compared to the Edelbrock alloys on the W...

Darn sharp little engines, they were..*G*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick Thanx for the reply. Remember that the 68 Torinos were based on the Fairlane bodies. Fairly light. Mine weighs in at 3100# less me. I'll try some basic timing curve changes tomorrow and use the free-waY FOR TESTING. The roads are pretty wide open around here and if trouble emerges (read Highway patrol) I always claim senior citizen discrimination or I am listening to Mike Savage. Works everytime. John Las Vegas

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
hehehe....I guess weight can be a relative term.....Since getting married, I don't talk about the subject very much anymore *G*

As a point of reference, when racing 289/302 combos, the race car weighed 2360 wet without driver. Weight was the reason I was so much quicker (during those years) than my racing buddies, even the SBC guys....they were lugging around stock vehicle chassis and bodies...

Good luck with the "road" tests..*G*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts