Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after pricing the parts for a total front and rear brake job, I am wondering if I shouldn't just do the rears and spend the extra couple of hundred dollars for the front disc conversion. There is a guy on ebay with fully rebuilt set ups (?) for $400.00 plus S$H, or I can prob pick everything up for about $250 plus spindals/rods locally. My current brakes are ok for the short joy rides I get right now, but need improving prior to being a true daily driver. TIA for any input.
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did brakes before anything else on my '67. It already had discs but they were shot. When I removed the back cylinders, rusty thick fluid oozed out. I ended up replacing everything: new stainless calipers, rotors, cylinders, booster/master, liners, misc hardware and lines. Total cost was about $1000 doing the labor myself. Made quite a difference, as you can imagine, and I think you'll agree that brakes are important enough, safety-wise, to be worth the invenstment.

I'd go with disks. Dunno about this ebay deal, but I think Stainless Steel Brake Co. still has disk conversion kits. Good luck and post any questions along the way.

'67 cpe, daily driver

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too just did a total rebuild job on my drum brakes front and rear on my 66 coupe, I did spend the bucks on a power booster, which didn't require a pedal change and though I don't have the car running yet, it all bolted up fine and am confident it will work well. With the new booster, new shoes, spring kits and wheel cylinders it was a little over 500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts