Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inquiring minds want to know.
Could I have the true definition of a total restoration. My definition of that is "show room condition with no visual miles on the car". The car is rebuilt..engine,interior, paint body and drive train just like Ford made it.
A partial restoration? Here is where I am lacking a definition.
I know restomoding and total restoration. Where do you draw the line on partial.
Along my lines of thiking....If I am going to total restore the car...I do it the right way.
Also is there a book that tells me what total man hours should be required for a total restoration.
Thanks Pete

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
It certainly is subject to much debate but the word means to restore to its original condition. For example areas of my car that didn't need restoration I didn't touch. About 75% of my interior as it was in great shape. Other than cleaning and a wiring warness I didn't do much of anything under the dash as there are a lot of nice original details I didn't want to disturb like the pedals with the dipped ends and runs, date stamp on wiper motor and cardboard heater plenum. They certainly could be distinguished from "showroom" but to me preservation is more important than restoration.From what I've seen most claims of total restoration don't go much beyond a paint job, new interior and a rebuilt engine.
Tim
Tim

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
"A partial restoration?"

It can mean anything or nothing. IMHO

"Also is there a book that tells me what total man hours should be required for a total restoration. "

No since we all start from a different point depending on the car choosen, and its condition I do not believe you can. Best guess by an experianced shop that has done similar cars to yours and to the same level as you expect

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A partial restoration? Here is where I am lacking a definition.
I know restomoding and total restoration. Where do you draw the line on partial.
Along my lines of thiking....If I am going to total restore the car...I do it the right way.

Thanks Pete
In my vocabulary there is no such thing as a partial restoration. I would do it right the first time than have to do it again in a few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts