Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed all the power steering stuff on the 69 mach and have installed the manual steering gizmo , I am hoping I didn't make a mitake ?

Has anyone done this ? and if so are you satisfied with what you now have

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I did it on a '66 coupe. The steering is tough in parking lots, but otherwise excellent. What mistake are you worried about?

MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it on a '66 coupe. The steering is tough in parking lots, but otherwise excellent. What mistake are you worried about?

MrFreeze

A mistake only in the hard steering when driving but it sounds like it's not relavent

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Once you get going manual isn't that bad. It's the 3 point turns and the like that get hard.

·
Registered
442 Posts

MrFreeze
It's alot easier to steer in parking lots if the car is moving slowly forward or back. If it's just standing still, steering is very difficult.
Once you get used to that, it's easy.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It's alot easier to steer in parking lots if the car is moving slowly forward or back. If it's just standing still, steering is very difficult.
Once you get used to that, it's easy.
Believe me, I'm aware of the technique. It's still a right PITA to do. It doesn't help that it is a V8 car with AC and PS, a 16:1 box, larger tires (215/60R15) and 3 degrees of positive caster.

I had an original manual steering car with 19:1 box and stock size tires, and it felt like power steering compared to this. Not that I'm complaining, though - down the highway the thing is as solid as a rock.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
well,.....

My, okay, I'll be one of those who thinks you made a mistake. i hope you still have all of the pieces. Even if you don't put them back on, they're valuable to those looking for such things. Can I ask what was the reasoning that you took them off ? Low speed stuff is so much easier with p/s, and it costs so little power, why remove it if you have it ? Whats the thinking ? LSG

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
My, okay, I'll be one of those who thinks you made a mistake. i hope you still have all of the pieces. Even if you don't put them back on, they're valuable to those looking for such things. Can I ask what was the reasoning that you took them off ? Low speed stuff is so much easier with p/s, and it costs so little power, why remove it if you have it ? Whats the thinking ? LSG
Excellent quote here, could not have expressed this better.

Why, generally it is it leaks??

This is quoted time after time. Hell yes, a 40 year old seal/hose will leak. So will the 2011 Power steerings 40 years from now.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 8 of 8 Posts