Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found exterior touch up paint at CA mustangs. Here is the write-up:

EXTERIOR LACQUER TOUCH UP PAINT
Repaint headlamp doors, quarter extensions and other small body panels or touch up dings and scratches with our new exterior spray lacquer. We’ve developed a rainbow of colors to match almost every original finish for 1965-73 Mustangs.

The problem is that my 65 Rangoon red has enamel as far as I know(original paint). So if I try to use this it's going to lift any original paint right? Or am I missing something?

Don

G

·
My experience is that lacquer can go over enamel but enamel cannot go over lacquer...

When I was 17, I had a '62 Galaxie 500XL that I painted the door jambs with lacquer so I could shut 'em sooner, finished off the rest with enamel and the enamel peeled all around the overspray on the doors. What a botch...

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Typically, lacquer will crinkle or do some other weird thing over enamel; however, the acrylic enamels that were applied at the factory seem to be tough enough to withstand overcoating with lacquer. They even seem to resist some paint strippers!

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts