Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...spent last night searching old brake upgrade posts.

Here's my deal. Converting a V8 66 drum/drum/jelly jar to a disc/drum/dual MC disc brake front off a 72 Mustang (non power). I have a ton of info, but the following questions remain.

1. Many folks use the 74 Mav MC. Some say use the 67-68 MC. What are the advantages of each? Line compatibility? Bore size? Rod length? Price? I still never found the rod removal/replacement answer.

2. I may not have this correct, so steer me right if I'm misunderstanding this point...seem some folks suggest that you can reuse the drum/drum distribution block if you integrate a proportioning valve. I planned to use the 72 dist block w/o a prop valve...at least until I went to rear discs. Which is best?

3. Will 71-73 brake lines mate to my 66 wheel well hard lines? Will I need the Granada extension of hard lines?

I've decided on the Mustang Plus big kit ($875) to freshen everything up while I'm there. Is Mustang Plus "a" arm quality OK?

Once again...thanks guys. See you at the track soon.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
74 maverick MC is the general choice. Its set up for disc/drum operation.

The '67 MC drum/drum is appropriate if you are going to dual MC for safety and keeping drum brakes. '67 disk/drum non-power (if such a beast exists, I'm not much of a '67 person) would work as well.

I used a '74 maverick with the maverick rod and everything feels good. You can pull the rods out by brute force, but I don't think anyone sells the clips to replace the one you will break so you rod will be loose in the bore. Not a problem as long as the rod doesn't fall out.

I would use the '74 maverick unit and see if it works and gives good pedal height. IF not, consider experimenting with the OE rod.

If you keep the '66 dist block, you have to block off the rear brake port and run the rear line separately (no dist block) and use and adjustable prop. valve.

If you use a dist. block for a dual master disc/drum setup (like the '72) you do not need an adjustable prop. valve. You may put one in anyway to tune for performance.

I used the granada prop. valve with good results, but I don't have the car running enough to see if I want to tune it further (stripping for paint). It stops well and seems safe.

Don't know about the '71 soft lines. IF the caliper soft line fitting is roughly in the same place as the OE drum (which it really isn't) or the calipers are on the rear side of the disks, they might work. If the caliper is on the forward side ofthe disk, a mod similar to the Granada mod would be necessary.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Mike... good answers. Looks like I'll start shopping for a 74 Mav MC.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts