Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remove the driveshaft in order to pull with a dolley? Can't you just leave it in neutral and be ok?

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Years ago, you could leave the driveshaft in with automatic transmissions because they use to use a rear oil pump that would lube the transmission without the engine running.

Now, automatics use only a front pump and will not lube the transmission if the engine is not running.

But as the others have said and I have done, remove the shaft. Even if the trans had a rear pump, the drag will be great and only compound the load during towing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If it's a stick shift, putting in neutral will be fine. The others who commented were talking about an automatic.

Tom

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you pull the drivesahft on an automatic car, be sure to plug the end of the tranny. Ask me how I know...

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe I'm just showing my stupidity and all (which is probably the case) but isn't the idea of a dolley so that you don't have to remove the shaft or do anything else of the sort? Or, couldn't you tow it from the rear end, with a steering column lock, and not have to do anything else?

I'm probably wrong, so don't listen to me unless someone else confirms :).

~JP

·
Registered
745 Posts
For a cross country trip ,like you are doing,I would stick with the trailer plan you were originally going to do. I f you do choose the dolly route,front wheels on the dolly with driveshaft pulled and trans plugged ,even on a stick car with this distance.

Dave

·
Registered
678 Posts
Also if you are going cross country, check on the laws for each state. I don't think you can use a dolly on an unregistered car in my state. I don't know your case but if there is some strange law its better to know about it before being stranded.

I also heard the dollys were hard to back up. If you dont have the wheel fixed. I sold a car and it was towed on a dlly. The new oner later told me the worst part of the trip was getting out of a restaurant in town.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I have towed with a dolley but was just wondering why. I'll take the safe route and pull it. I just wanted to keep it in so when I get there I can just get in the car and drive it away. Thanks again! ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts