Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
If it’s a short trip I’d leave it in. If a long trip Id remove it as there’s a lot less drag. Even in neutral on a manual you don’t have the gears spinning to splashing oil to lubricate. Although lots of people have towed with no issues as well as I. Just from the drag standpoint

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
that depends, are you running front or rear wheel drive? if front, then no, if rear then yes. trust me its the best way to go manual or automatic.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Fair point, @rbohm! But if it's RWD, locking the steering down in a secure fashion isn't always as easy as it seems. If it were my '67 Cougar, I'd much rather disco the driveshaft and dolly the front wheels to prevent random steering mishaps.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yeah, It's called "Neutral"...lol...

I agree... For safety reasons...Remove the driveshaft...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It takes 10 minutes...do it. I always keep a spare trans u-joint on hand for just such an occasion...even without though, just drain the trans.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
just towed a 65 a/t yesterday 100 miles and dropped rear of driveshaft and tied to exhaust with front wheels on dolly. Something that I have done hundreds of times. Wes

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you don’t pull it, you’ll smoke the auto trans. Just because it’s in neutral doesn’t mean it doesn’t need the pump turning to lubricate the bands. If you don’t leave the driveshaft in a trick I use is to take a zip lock freezer bag and put it tight over the tailstock of the transmission and then take electrical tape and tape the bag tight around the tailstock. That will keep most of the oil in the transmission, you might loose 1/2 pint if you keep it tight.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
driveshaft

When tying driveshaft up to exhaust make sure you tie it in such a way that the driveshaft will not slip backwards and come out of tranny!!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Fair point, @rbohm! But if it's RWD, locking the steering down in a secure fashion isn't always as easy as it seems. If it were my '67 Cougar, I'd much rather disco the driveshaft and dolly the front wheels to prevent random steering mishaps.
i dont see where the OP was asking about steering, but i have never had an issue using a tow dolly, either the fixed style where the front wheels on the car turn when negotiating a corner, or the type where there is a fifth wheel style turn plate where the tow dolly wheels move when cars with locked steering columns are tied to the dolly. in fact the only time i ever had any issues with steering when towing a car is when flat towing a car, like i did with my falcon, 2300 miles from pittsburg to tucson because no one would rent me a tow dolly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts