Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all you Mustang lovers,
I am pretty new here have not posted much. I have 11 mustangs from 1965 - 1985, 7 are convertibles. I had seen an ad locally for a 64 1/2 HiPo 4 speed vert. When I contacted him it was a total basket case and it came with non original HiPo 289. The serial numbers were there but to find all the sheet metal to fix it with correct date codes would be a chore. The odd thing was that it had a Towne Top with it and came from dealer in Charlotte and top had been with the car since new. He would not sell me the top separate from the car. It did sell for $8,000 but would cost more to restore than to just buy a good one.
So I started looking for a Towne Top, I have 2 65 verts one A code 4 speed the other C code automatic. I placed a wanted add here and one of the members sold me his restored white top. I also did searches for months and eventually found 5 in total. I laughed at the MM article saying on 3 known to exist. Mr. John Murphy, that gave MM the info for the article, is sort of the keeper of the Towne Top. I ended up with three two black with Crown molding and the white without. When I contacted Mr. Murphy he was shocked that I had found so many so quick. The 3 I did not buy were basket cases missing parts and broken.
I also was able to find the original headliner material and outside vinyl to restore the black tops.
The white top came with NOS side emblems and lots of info on the tops. I did contact the living son of the mfg., Michael Moss, and talked and emailed several times. I also have a copy of the original sales book. One of the black tops is #10044 if I remember correctly and was sold at TASCA Ford in Rhode Island. I found a tag inside the top with the #13 written on it we think that was the 13th. top pulled from the mold.
We all know that Ford did not make the tops but it is pretty much impossible for the Dory Development Co. to make the mold, get the trim made, find the rubber parts and start production in like two weeks after the Mustang was presented on April 17. It is known that the team that did the design for the Mustang also included a design for the removable top. When it was presented to Corporate they said no this is not a T-bird and we do not want the removable hard top. It is thought that Ford gave Mr. Moss the prototype and any design info they had to speed up the process. Dory also made removable hard tops for the Corvair.
There was another mfg. of removable hard tops for mustang and that was Parrish Plastics. There is a picture of one in the Mustang Does It book. I think Mr. Murphy said 3 of those were found also.
Most of the Towne Tops were sold on the east coast. The shipping crate could also be used for storing the top. I think the brochure for the top says its weight is 65 lbs. but feels much heavier. The trim is either stainless or aluminum so easy to buff and make look new. The top is fiberglass with sections of redwood cast into the fiberglass shell for fasteners and mounting for the trim, seals and hardware. The top came with a nut driver that put the nuts on the two front mounts that go through the locator holes in the convertible latch area. There are two clamps in the back that the nut driver also fits. I have not found one of them yet.
So I saw in another thread about Shelby that someone on the forum has one of the tops. I would like to get in touch with them and they also need to list their tops with Mr. Murphy. His name and address is in this article by Virginia Classic Mustang Virginia Classic Mustang Blog: Mustang Towne Tops (Hardtops)
This is the link to the MM article on the Towne Top. 1966 Convertible Towne Top Ragtop - Mustang Monthly

I do have copies of the sales brochure, advertising post cards showing black and white tops on a mustang, advertising info and install instructions..
I tried to add pictures but could not get them over. Would not allow me to drag and drop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi..I'm in Florida and brought a towne top around 10 years ago..i have the beige with white headliner with chrome bows and chrome emblems on the sides..it's in good condition other than it being weather stained as the guy stored it in a storage shed..i also have the rope and pulleys for you to attach it to your garage ceiling and hoist off..was thinking of selling it....just haven't had the right offer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would you be intrested in selling it ? Send me a text at wc4225 @ gmail.com. Probably the ideal solution for my 67 as the baby has no indoor storage.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
The odd thing was that it had a Towne Top with it and came from dealer in Charlotte and top had been with the car since new. He would not sell me the top separate from the car. …I placed a wanted add here and one of the members sold me his restored white top. I also did searches for months and eventually found 5 in total. I laughed at the MM article saying on 3 known to exist. Mr. John Murphy, that gave MM the info for the article, is sort of the keeper of the Towne Top. I ended up with three two black with Crown molding and the white without. When I contacted Mr. Murphy he was shocked that I had found so many so quick.
Nice history on the Towne Top. Funny that MM thinks there were only three. I have seen more of them than that. The first one I saw, a friend of mine bought a black one at a yard sale in 1975 for $35. Perfect condition.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
I do have copies of the sales brochure, advertising post cards showing black and white tops on a mustang, advertising info and install instructions..
I tried to add pictures but could not get them over. Would not allow me to drag and drop.
Then "click and select". When you click on the 'select image' button, you can click instead of dragging, and select your image in the pop-up window.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts