Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ha. P-38. Most folks on here might think you have an airplane on your key chain. Haven’t used a P-38 on a can in a long time.....
A few years ago, I was working at a satellite unit about 8 miles from our main prison complex. The inmates were preparing the breakfast meal, and the can opener they had broke. They needed to open about 10-12 large cans of whatever fruit was being served that day, so I showed one of them how to use my P-38 to open a can. It was a slow process, but got all those cans opened in time for breakfast!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
A few years ago, I was working at a satellite unit about 8 miles from our main prison complex. The inmates were preparing the breakfast meal, and the can opener they had broke. They needed to open about 10-12 large cans of whatever fruit was being served that day, so I showed one of them how to use my P-38 to open a can. It was a slow process, but got all those cans opened in time for breakfast!
The can opener on my Boy Scout knife is more efficient than a P-38, but I don't carry that on me anymore cuz I'm gonna forget it one day and it'll get confiscated if I go thru a metal detector. Lost several baby swiss knives to TSA in a couple years following 9/11. Yet they let me take my keys, and the blade on those knives was half the size of any of my keys.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
The can opener on my Boy Scout knife is more efficient than a P-38, but I don't carry that on me anymore cuz I'm gonna forget it one day and it'll get confiscated if I go thru a metal detector. Lost several baby swiss knives to TSA in a couple years following 9/11. Yet they let me take my keys, and the blade on those knives was half the size of any of my keys.
Here's a good one.... I departed Las Vegas by airplane after the AAPEX / SEMA show in 2005 (I usually drive). In my pocket was a
pricey titanium and ss pocket knife. I discovered this just prior to going through the TSA's magnetometer. I left it in my pocket, reasoning that
if I put it in the dish on the conveyor belt, it would be spotted or detected for sure. Their machine must not have been dialed in quite right
because I sailed right thorough it that day. I probably would have had a tough time explaining that knife if it had been detected.....

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Stopped by the grocery store today after work and still no TP or most other paper products. I thought the whole TP hoarding thing was funny a few weeks ago when wife had just bought a 24 pack but with 3 adults at home 24/7 because my Autistic children's day programs have been canceled, and the wife is working from home, I'm going to need to find some in a week or two. Maybe I can find a hoarder and trade some food of which I have plenty for some TP? To bad we got rid of the diaper pail 30 years ago!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Didn't the Romans use a sponge on a stick...grab it from a trough of water...I can see it now on the infomercials being touted as eco-friendly and reusable, imported from Italy, real Meditaranian renewable sponge....urrrp...

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The way I see it is simple, there were ~325M aholes in America last month, now, not a month later, there are well over 500m if you count all the ones hoarding TP!

Why are they hoarding TP, because some city in frigg'n CHINA ran out - you can't make this crap up (so-to-speak).

Some French guy says you can't use Ibuprofen, no scientific proof, no studies, no doctors saying he is right - but you can't find Tylenol now...

If we had leadership from any party in this country, they would be telling us to pull together as Americans, stop this foolishness and work together to insure everyone has what they need. Instead its every-man-for-himself, a sign of the times I guess.

These are sad times IMHO, Americans can do better than this...

Anyway, I might go visit my Mustang this weekend and try to distract myself from the fact that I probably only have 2 weeks of TP left because when I happened to be in Walmart 2 weeks ago when they stocked the shelves at 4:30 am, I only took what I thought I needed (sigh)...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Didn't the Romans use a sponge on a stick...grab it from a trough of water...I can see it now on the infomercials being touted as eco-friendly and reusable, imported from Italy, real Meditaranian renewable sponge....urrrp...
I believe that's where the phrase, "Getting the shi**y end of the stick" comes from.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Makes one cringe when someone gets sick and is advised to just take sponge baths.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Some French guy says you can't use Ibuprofen, no scientific proof, no studies, no doctors saying he is right - but you can't find Tylenol now...
You don't want to take anything to lower a fever, no tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, because the fever is the body's way to kill off the offending organism. Viruses and bacteria, for the most part, can only survive at body temp, so the body is much smarter than modern medicine, and it cranks up the temp, and the viruses die, and the problem goes away. A fever is not a bad thing until it gets to 104, then you want to sell. Or take a cold bath. One of the two. If you work on Wall St, then sell. If you work on Mustangs, take a cold bath. Best thing to do with a virus is to soak in a hot tub, wrap in blankets, anything to get a good sweat, get the temp up, and you'll feel better much sooner than taking stuff to make you feel better, all that does is prolong the illness.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I agree. You don't just start pounding fever reducer at 99F. That said, the body has a pretty universal response to pathogens whether effective or not. A fever may not be an effective way to kill off a bug.

All men know how to conserve toilet paper. We learned in our 20s. You **** and then shower. No middle step. We've all done it. Don't tell your wives!

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Referred to as the 3 S's in the Navy...... s*** shower and shave.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
There is always that collection of event t-shirts that can be cut up to use. People used to use, wash, use again cloth diapers. What's the difference?
Can I borrow a few shirts?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts