Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good question. I am expecting it to be the first thing that goes. Weak link....
If you aren't launching it hard and hooking up it may last longer than you think. However, I think I have read that a lot of them break hitting third gear just from the power....so good luck! If you look at the post I started I am considering upgrading to a G force gearset before I do a stroker. I figure I can sell my intact and working T5z for enough to cover a lot of the cost of getting a core and installing G force guts myself.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you aren't launching it hard and hooking up it may last longer than you think. However, I think I have read that a lot of them break hitting third gear just from the power....so good luck! If you look at the post I started I am considering upgrading to a G force gearset before I do a stroker. I figure I can sell my intact and working T5z for enough to cover a lot of the cost of getting a core and installing G force guts myself.
That's what I'll do as well after this one breaks. One of the heavy duty rebuilds. I already have to double clutch 5th gear so needs rebuild...maybe it will last, i am definitely traction limited in the back..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Installing Flywheel and Clutch. Trying out a Ram dual-disc clutch thing time around. Seeking reduced clutch pedal force. Currently using a McLoed 1319 Hydraulic Throwout Bearing.

IMG_9596.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Installing Flywheel and Clutch. Trying out a Ram dual-disc clutch thing time around. Seeking reduced clutch pedal force. Currently using a McLoed 1319 Hydraulic Throwout Bearing.

View attachment 737266
Current McLeod Hydraulic Throwout Bearing will not work. About .6" too high.

Ordered a RAM clutch Throwout bearing and will mock up and remeasure. It is lower profile

Clutch System: (Ram 75-2257 Clutch) (Ram 78130 Bearing) (RAM 78300 Pedal height adjuster) (Modern Driveline MD-910-0002 Master cylinder)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not sure your exact setup, but on my TKO, I’ve had good luck with this Ram throwout bearing Ram throwout bearing
Looks very similar to the kit I received for the T5.

They in included a nice bleeding system, for the input my current lines are -4an so just changing the -3an fitting out so it should be a straight forward bolt in to my plumbing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I waiting to see how that 363 runs! Good work!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Which headers did you go with and how do you like the fit?
Which headers did you go with and how do you like the fit?
FPA 1 5/8 headers. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/347step.htm . Fit is great. They rusted out from the car sitting a long time, so had them processed and re-ceramic coated at Jet Hot.

Some of the bolts are a pain to deal with, but I am using the close set of holes. I had to use bolts with two different lengths to have clearance.

The fit on the shock towers and control arm bolts is great as is the route they take to the collectors. No clearance issues using T5.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FPA 1 5/8 headers. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/347step.htm . Fit is great. They rusted out from the car sitting a long time, so had them processed and re-ceramic coated at Jet Hot.

Some of the bolts are a pain to deal with, but I am using the close set of holes. I had to use bolts with two different lengths to have clearance.

The fit on the shock towers and control arm bolts is great as is the route they take to the collectors. No clearance issues using T5.
Right on. I’m looking at pretty much the same setup as you. Motor is currently being built by Woody and am looking at FPA as an option for headers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Right on. I’m looking at pretty much the same setup as you. Motor is currently being built by Woody and am looking at FPA as an option for headers.
They are great.....don't forget to add air fuel sensor bung before they are coated.....

21 - 39 of 39 Posts