Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of selling my fastback and building a 68 coupe for the track. The only problem is I know nothing about setting a car up for the track.

What would it cost to do a car like this? Assuming that I have the coupe and the engine already. It does not need to be anything fancy just fun to drive, safe, and street legal.

What would you do to the

1) suspension
2) Steering
3) Brakes
4) Cage
5) Belts
6) wheels and tires
7) fuel system
8) What transmission

Also what class would be good for a beginner and what are the rules?

Thanks a million guys for hepling this "newbie"

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Wheels and tires will be the largest expense....

You'll need at least 6 wheels and tires to provide you backup when you inevitably ruin one or two while at the track. The economics justify it becasue if you've already paid for the track time you need to be on the track and not sitting on the sideline. I reccomend two full sets.

Next full safety gear (Helmet, suit, gloves, neck brace, nomex socks and shoes. Many people do not wear this stuff because it's not required for some open track events. IMHO that's a bad idea... you should have it and wear it.

Fuel cell..... obvious...

Roll cage, buy a kit from speedway motors or stock car products and have a someone fit it to your car.

Use your stock brakes with good R4 pads from Porterfield.

On the transmission, the only way to go is a toploader, don't even consider a T5, don't consider a five speed either. One time dead sticking through a corner at the limit because you missed 3rd on the down shift and went into 5th and you'll see what I mean.

Note... the very last thing on the list should be the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
You can do the Shelby drop for free and get yourself some negative camber. At this point if you need UCA's, I'd consider a set of modifieds and do the neg wedge drop. I'd start by stiffening the car up with export brace, and subframe connectors.
After that, it depends what kind of condition the suspension is in. If the suspension is in good shape, I'd maybe drive it and learn and let the car tell you what it needs. If any component is marginal, then I'd be thinking of some upgrades. (roller spring perches as an example)

Suspension goodies can get real expensive real fast.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
IMO brakes and tires are the most important things to consider. Like roadracer said, more than just one set of tires and don't use a street tire on the track. Porterfield R4 brake pads is all we use. They are the best. The suspension doesn't have to be much to have fun. A bigger front sway bar and Koni shocks will get you around the track if all the supension parts are in good shape. Take a driving school. Then work on getting more grip, brakes and power.

1) suspension - front bar and shocks $500
2) Steering - $0
3) Brakes - $300est. brake pads
4) Cage - $200 4 point bolt in for now.
5) Belts - $200est. can't us the stock ones.
6) wheels and tires - $1000 or more for just tires.
7) fuel system - Fuel cell $300 to $1000.
8) What transmission - Toploader

John

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why not take the Fastback out for some Open Track?

Here in NorCal, many of the guys and gals at Shelby Club open track events are taking street cars and driving them on the track.

Of course, you'd want to make sure the car is in good shape and prepare it for the track, but, especially if you just want to have fun, there is no reason not to give it a go and see how you like it.

You may find that you are happy with the "beginner" groups, or you may find that you really want to compete. Either way, you won't spend a bunch of money going down the "wrong" path.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts