Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to spin this off my initial post without being too convoluted, I want to get rear suspension opinions. I have a 66 coupe that’s going to be a group2 inspired build. I’m trying to bridge the gap between part time driver and something that can put up a good fight on local track events and autocross. I feel as though i know less than i did going in after researching.

some options I’m looking at are Maiers rear suspension kit with leafs/shackles/shocks/panhard kit. It’s not terribly expensive and as he preaches, a simplistic approach. I was also initially considering a Watts Link and ran across the MustangstoFear link setup that uses coilover and Watts link.

usually my advice is listen to what the guys that win use, but it seems everyone does something different completely and still manages to be very competitive. Overlooking the time in the seat and driver skill portion of the equation, I really don’t know what’s the better route for my needs. naturally if something can meet the goal without costing a fortune great but this is a project that I don’t mind spending the money on to do it right the first time. If the best leaf spring kit is $400 over everyone else then fine, I’ll spend extra. Or if going to a link system is the right way, I’ll go that route.

For you guys with 64.5-66 cars in particular, what path do you advise? I’ll mention too, I’m not concerned with conforming to a particular rule book. The track part is more a have fun thing.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,546 Posts
You don’t need anything more than these...The only thing I would ask John to do is swap the leafs for 5 leaf reverse eye.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I disagree with Patrick a little bit, add the Panard or Watts link , Fayes 2 has a nice one.
Watch the rear spring rate,5 is way too stiff. Mid eye "offset" 4 leaf is Mike Maiers set up,only 3 leaf's to the rear. They call them "active" I believe leaf's. Everything else forward for anti wrap.
Careful with bushings, Mike likes urethane front, plain ol stock rear. That allows the little bit of side to side needed to keep the panard bar from causing a bind. I took the Del U Lums out and did this with the Watts Link.
Believe it or not softening the rear helps it grip better coming out of corners, lowering the rear roll center , the biggest benefit to the panard or watts, does a great job helping with corner exit grip.
I ran Del U Lums and 5 1/2 leafs for years until I started autocrossing, softening the rear di good things .

·
Vendor
5,285 Posts

1st place:

2nd place:

Choose the SPORT valving or our Double Adjustable Bilsteins and the car is a very comfortable street cruiser and track capable monster. (y)

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
I use energy suspension poly shackle kit for lateral control and smooth articulation , with a rubber eye bushing for isolation HD 4 leaf mideyes (kinda wish I went reverse eye)

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,373 Posts
"Lance", when there's a blue dot on your picture in the upper right of the page it means you have unread notifications and/or messages waiting for you. Just saying.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,373 Posts
OK then, I will assume you are just choosing not to answer said messages, even from a site administrator. Never mind then and Sorry to interrupt.

·
Registered
874 Posts
OK then, I will assume you are just choosing not to answer said messages, even from a site administrator. Never mind then and Sorry to interrupt.
reading this i am not sure if he meant his response towards you like that, maybe he did not get the hint that you messaged him. i myself did not know that blue dot was indicator for new messages... i thought it was indicating user was online now LMAO seriously i had messages that were many months old.

·
Registered
874 Posts
to the original poster, i guess it depends on what style suspension you prefer ? there are many effective ways to go fast, one setup is not inheritly the best for everyone. shauns 3 link kit above is a nice quality setup ( as a bolt in kit that is really nice) . others go fast with good leafs with a panhard / watts. one thing i will say is stay away from a triangulated 4 link setup. they are nice for a sporty cruiser, but not great in a race deal. they have all sorts of geometry issues. they are great for packaging and they look cool LOL.

myself i went with a 3 link with a very long (56 inch) torque arm & fays watts link. double adjustble coilovers. everything adjustable bearing ends. i prefer the torque arm vs traditional short upper arm 3 link.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I once had red dots but went to the doctor and he fixed me right up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts