Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like a long shot even if this sort of thing is allowed. But some of you must have looked down this road before, and could tell me if it's worth any effort at all. A few years before he bought the used '66 Mustang convertible that is now mine, my father bought a new 1966 V8 coupe. I remember it as a darker blue, my sister as a lighter one. He didn't keep it long. He spent a lot of time on the road, and I remember when he sold it he said it rode too rough. So maybe it was a GT or something. My mother wasn't happy about the purchase. The only thing I recall clearly was a miserable night on a vacation when we couldn't find a hotel or cabin, and wound up with two adults, two children, and a big dog sleeping in the little coupe. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to track down the car, to see exactly what it was, and if it still existed, or was possibly even for sale. But I don't have much information to go on. My father's name and address, and the approximate date of purchase is about it. And it's not just the lack of leads that concerns me, I also worry about the ethics of the situation. I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone looking up me and my Mustang, for possibly nefarious purposes. Or maybe this kind of thing gets done all the time. I don't know. I do know though, that some of you will have something to say about it. So thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
We get such posts/requests pretty regularly here. The reality is we can't be of much help. Even if you had the VIN, it would be difficult to track down the car unless, by chance, someone posted the VIN online for some reason. DMV can't help you; too many privacy laws. Police can't help you; too many privacy laws. There is no resource I know of which can help you. Of course, if you start poking around and asking people, you just might get lucky. So, good luck. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it didn't seem like a good idea for information like that to be public anymore. I think back to my old British car clubs and the registry they sometimes kept, but as I recall that information was all volunteered. You used to be able to get an owners name and address up here with just a license plate number, but they shut that down a while ago. Even with more information, short of having the VIN, with so many 1966 cars it would be tough to find. Oh well, there's one for everything else, I had hoped there was an app for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts