Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I wanted a couple of 20mm adapters to replace the 1" Eibachs I have now. (As low as my car sits 20mm's allow for a slightly wider tire without rubbing, 245 vs. 235 on a cut down explorer 8.8 rear.) I found them in California, in stock, "guaranteed delivery" (whatever that means) to me in North Carolina by July 6th. Sent Priority Mail, the USPS promptly informed me that July 7th would be more like it. No, the 6th after all. No, make that the 7th, no the 6th. They just couldn't seem to decide which. Turns out it didn't matter though, because they sent my package to Catano (that's in Puerto Rico, folks) instead. PUERTO RICO. WTF? It finally arrived on my doorstep yesterday, safe and sound. OK, fine, but what gets me is there were no scans or expected delivery updates for three days between "Postal" Rico and me. What did they do, hang it on a slow drone direct to my house? It seems like once they goofed, the post office people slapped a gag order on themselves and my package temporarily into The Twilight Zone.
Minorus Rantus Fini.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sorry to hear that your single parcel among the millions the USPS handles every day went astray causing your to have to wait a whole 7 days to get it. You must have ticked someone off by checking the tracking 5 or 6 times.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
"guaranteed delivery" (whatever that means) to me in North Carolina by July 6th.
Did you buy them on Fleabay? It seems as though Fleabay puts that statement in all of the ads now. And of course when the package doesn't arrive by the guaranteed delivery date all they say is "we're so sorry it didn't arrive on time".

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
USPS flat out sucks. I frequently get empty boxes from USPS, deliveries that tracking is unreliable or just stops working, or tracking that’s just flat out wrong. I couldn’t tell you the last time I received something on time from USPS. Worst service in the planet.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you buy them on Fleabay? It seems as though Fleabay puts that statement in all of the ads now. And of course when the package doesn't arrive by the guaranteed delivery date all they say is "we're so sorry it didn't arrive on time".
Yup. "Guaranteed delivery by" (fill in date) doesn't mean doodley-squat. Or as you say, the guarantee is for an apology and nothing more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My package from Amazon this week failed to arrive by it's one day promise day. I know it stinks to not get things when you think they're supposed to arrive, but on a positive note, at least it stayed in the US. I know someone who, when travelling in Italy, had their bag mis-labeled for Africa. Once it arrived, it had to go BACK to the US to get re-inspected for security before they would send it onward to Europe. Naturally, his trip ended before the bag arrived.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Everyone is on the package tracking bandwagon. I had a CJPP order that just disappeared in tracking. No one knew where it was, CJPP claimed the package shipped. UPS claimed they never received a package, although tracking said they delivered it to my local PO. USPS claimed they never received it. It finally showed up at my doorstep about 3 weeks late, that was a month ago and tracking still says its at my local PO.

·
Registered
646 Posts

You can get $5.00 credits on Ebay if your guaranteed delivery date isn't met. I've cashed in on about 3-4 since corona virus hit

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
182 Posts
USPS tracking is indeed almost worthless, but they do a good job with my deliveries, at least as good as UPS, and better than FedEx.

·
Vendor
3,820 Posts
Every since COVID-19 hit in March, UPS, FedEx and USPS have been overwhelmed with parcel volumes unlike anything that has been seen before. So all three are struggling.

Since we are primarily UPS, I have to say that UPS has been doing a pretty good job, all things considered. Delays here and there, but they're pretty good about making a note in tracking that shows the delay (of course the excuse for it is always rather vague, but we all know that it's COVID related chaos). But damages have increased, because apparently the loading and unloading trucks by hand has become more of a "sand bag toss" than a careful routine. So we've attempted to up our game with the packaging as best we can.

FedEx I wouldn't know, but I've heard stories.

USPS?? I've been joking with customers who request it that we might have better luck "tossing the box in the Atlantic Ocean and praying that it floats to your doorstep". ;) USPS is an absolute mess right now. Any company that's relying heavily upon USPS, or a UPS/USPS hybrid, I can't even imagine the level of complaints, losses and delays.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Priority Mail 2 or 3 day delivery used to be good. Now it's more like 12-13 days stateside, 2-3 months international - if it ever leaves Chicago. My internationals used to go through NY and I never had a problem. Now they go to Chicago and never leave.
USPS tells me that tracking numbers expire after a certain amount of time and the Covid crisis has them all backed up. Yawn. Yeah, okay.
UPS is too expensive out here for a small business. I spent years arguing with them about all their fees and charging residential rates rather than my account's business rate before I got fed up and dropped them. too bad, they seem to be the best for delivery. Now I only use UPS on customer's accounts or I charge extra to drive out to a UPS store and ship from there.
Don't get me started on the business practices of the FedEx regional office in Dallas....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, you lack the reference for the small package shipping business, so you should understand a few things(once upon a time I worked for UPS as customer service for some of their rather large customers):

1. There are 2 types of scans for a package, there is physical scan of the barcode on the package itself(depending on carrier, some carriers do physical scans more than others). Then there is what they call a "derived" scan. This is them scanning the barcode on a truck or trailer the package is supposed to be on...as long as the package is where it is supposed to be this works just fine....but it is NOT a physical scan...in general physical scans only really happen at pickup, in a hub the package passes through, and at delivery(and when they are "out for delivery"). Packages are not individually scanned as they are put on or come off the large 50' trailers, to do so would simply slow down the process way too much and things would take twice as long to get delivered. They are scanned in hubs as they ride by on conveyor belts and pass under lasers that read the barcode. I mention this because it is quite possible the package was never physically in Puerto Rico at all.

2. 90% of the system is automated. When packages arrive at a hub, they are placed on a conveyor, get their physical scan, then go on to be sorted(usually automatically) to be sent to the next hub on the way to their destination. Sometimes a package is placed on the wrong truck going to the wrong hub. If this is what happened, the package may have ended up in PR physically. As you can imagine, getting sent to the wrong hub will delay a package...depending on the hub, possibly quite significantly.

3. As for the lack of scans between PR and your house....well, of all the carriers the USPS has the least amount of scans. My guess on that is that it was sent directly from PR to your local post office....and your local post office is not a hub, therefore the package would get no physical scan until it was delivered....although this explanation isnt great either because they would still be using the USPS system and PR would just send it to whatever your closest hub is.....however if your local post office actually delivers out of that hub(IE, you live in a major city where the hub and local post office are one and the same) then its possible for package to bypass the hub scan and go straight to delivery.

None of this really helps though, its all speculation about what "could" have happened, rather than what did happen.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Maybe the shippers should throw in a little cheese to go with the customer's whine. If there's this much of an issue, then the purchaser could just drive to the supplier and pick up the part. End of problem.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe the shippers should throw in a little cheese to go with the customer's whine. If there's this much of an issue, then the purchaser could just drive to the supplier and pick up the part. End of problem.

Its been pretty bad lately with USPS. I had 2 packages that just showed that they were "moving to next location" for weeks at a time. Fedex has stepped up to free Sunday Deliveries to help out but a few weeks ago the Fedex guy was running late and didn't deliver my package to my work. When I checked tracking it said he tried to deliver it at 5:17pm but business was closed, I personally was there until 6pm, our cars were parked out back but the front door was unlocked and the lights were on. He was just too lazy to get out and actually check.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
i just received three packages from usps, all priority and all received in three days. actually, i've only ever had one package lost and that was with ups about 15 years ago. i must be one of the lucky few.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Yes, everyone should just accept sub par quality from all industries these days. Maybe when guys in my line of work rip the landing gear off on a landing, they can also supply the passengers with cheese.

I buy locally when I can. Sometimes, people need to shop things. In my area, 2 Shippers are doing an acceptable job, and even long before Covid 19 entered our lives, USPS sucked. I had to order a jacket for work last year that was $700, and USPS delivered an empty package to me. My kids get birthday cards with money from family members every year. Well, they used to until anything resembling a birthday card stopped getting delivered to anyone in our area. Sometimes things that are time sensitive. I’d love to drive to where my contacts are made, but that doesn’t seem quite so practical until it took usps 6 weeks to find them after losing them, and they’re special made to order contacts, because of my astigmatism so it’s not like I could just get some others.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wow, a lot of USPS bashing here. I often have something on its way to me and between the three carriers: USPS, UPS, and FedEx, I have gotten my best tracking and delivery from USPS followed by UPS. I guess I'm in a minority here when I say I'm glad when I see a package coming to me via USPS. Also, I have USPS set to notify me whenever a package is coming to my address. On several occasions, I've gotten the initial tracking notification from USPS that a package is on its way even before the vendor has entered the initial package tracking number on my order in their system.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i just received three packages from usps, all priority and all received in three days. actually, i've only ever had one package lost and that was with ups about 15 years ago. i must be one of the lucky few.
The reality is that regardless of carrier only 1/10th of 1% of packages have any problems with deliveries, whether that is delay or damages, people only mention the bad experiences they have with shipping something, completely forgetting the 99.9% of times they have no issues at all.

·
Registered
920 Posts
and just think ... we're all going to vote by USPS in the future. happy now?

Reactions: indygta
1 - 20 of 35 Posts