Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this bend on the bracket normal?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Goat, kinda. It could have been installed that way, or it could very well have bent in service. That style of bar is famous for bending & for ripping the front mounts off. Have you considered Cal-Tracks or Slide - a -links ? LSG

·
Registered
295 Posts
It almost looks like they ran out of washers when they were installing it and just went ahead and tightened it down until it was ... tight. You need to replace your bushings, if you didn't already notice that :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It almost looks like they ran out of washers when they were installing it and just went ahead and tightened it down until it was ... tight. You need to replace your bushings, if you didn't already notice that :)
Ya I already ordered a new one from NPD, I'm likely just gonna cut the old bracket out and weld the new one in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
almost looks like someone jacked the car up by placing the jack under it. In my simple way of thinking, it seems most of the force from the bar is gonna push forwards, and not straight up.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Goat, kinda. It could have been installed that way, or it could very well have bent in service. That style of bar is famous for bending & for ripping the front mounts off.
Hmmm… I have seen that exactly once. Can't blame Traction Master, though. The cars' owner got drunk and drove it over a curb.
It almost looks like they ran out of washers when they were installing it and just went ahead and tightened it down until it was ... tight.
Traction Master™ has always assembled them that way, even when used as factory equipment on the 1966 GT350. The washers insure the correct offset to keep the bar straight.
almost looks like someone jacked the car up by placing the jack under it. In my simple way of thinking, it seems most of the force from the bar is gonna push forwards, and not straight up.
You are correct on both counts. Obviously some fool put a jack on the bolt end of the bracket. I've seen worse, when the bar itself was jacked and crushed.
Ya I already ordered a new one from NPD, I'm likely just gonna cut the old bracket out and weld the new one in.
Really? How about saving 98% of the work by removing the old bushing, quickly heat the bracket with a torch, and pop it back to shape. That's what I would do, whether for myself or a customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm… I have seen that exactly once. Can't blame Traction Master, though. The cars' owner got drunk and drove it over a curb.

Traction Master™ has always assembled them that way, even when used as factory equipment on the 1966 GT350. The washers insure the correct offset to keep the bar straight.

You are correct on both counts. Obviously some fool put a jack on the bolt end of the bracket. I've seen worse, when the bar itself was jacked and crushed.

Really? How about saving 98% of the work by removing the old bushing, quickly heat the bracket with a torch, and pop it back to shape. That's what I would do, whether for myself or a customer.
I did think it could have been user error but they are both bent the same exact way on the driver and passenger side. The bend seems too perfect on each side to be from a jack. Currently have the car stripped and welding other parts so welding a new bracket in the correct position is no problem. Tomorrow the new part is coming in so I'll get a chance to compare the 2 before cutting the old bracket.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Hmmm… Cutting, cutting some more, grinding, placing (MUST be done with full weight of car on the axle) and welding.

Verses 5-10 minutes heating and reshaping while you have the bushing off anyway. I'm trying to save you about 4 hours of work here.

The cup on a jack could easily cause a precise angle. The cup comes up under the bracket and knuckle and viola! Two identically bent brackets.

What possible harm could come from simply repairing the brackets already on the car?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
440 Posts

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Is this bend on the bracket normal?
No. And that is what is bothering him. It would bother me too. The difference here is for some reason he wants to cut them off, grind the frame, and weld on new ones. I would simply remove the bushings, which are obviously trashed anyway, heat the corner of the bracket, bend them back to shape and install the new bushings. What I suggest would take about an hour. Replacing the brackets would take the whole afternoon.
Are those old GT Qualifiers ? :)
No. They are Traction Masters™. Originally invented in the 1950's to control wheel hop on Corvettes. They were used as factory equipment on the 1966 Shelby GT350. Very popular, due to simplicity and excellent function.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
I did think it could have been user error but they are both bent the same exact way on the driver and passenger side. The bend seems too perfect on each side to be from a jack. Currently have the car stripped and welding other parts so welding a new bracket in the correct position is no problem. Tomorrow the new part is coming in so I'll get a chance to compare the 2 before cutting the old bracket.
The problem is the only way to get the bracket in the correct place is with the full weight of the car on the axle. Since your car is stripped, this will be impossible. Just straighten the darn things. It's not like they are Austrian crystal. I mean, how do you think Traction Master bent them in the first place? They are crooked. A little acetylene action, and bend them parallel to the bolt in the rear axle bracket. Done. I think you are over-thinking the problem.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
440 Posts
No. And that is what is bothering him. It would bother me too. The difference here is for some reason he wants to cut them off, grind the frame, and weld on new ones. I would simply remove the bushings, which are obviously trashed anyway, heat the corner of the bracket, bend them back to shape and install the new bushings. What I suggest would take about an hour. Replacing the brackets would take the whole afternoon.

No. They are Traction Masters™. Originally invented in the 1950's to control wheel hop on Corvettes. They were used as factory equipment on the 1966 Shelby GT350. Very popular, due to simplicity and excellent function.
I meant the tires lol

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I meant the tires lol

Chris
Tires are Remington xt-120 radials, the date stamp says 1981 haha.

I'll torch it straight but I'm also assuming that it was installed correctly in the 70's. Is there any way to tell that when it was installed that it had the weight of the car on it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts