Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. My car had traction bars that the previous owner installed. I don’t plan on drag racing or taking off hard, so apart from what a traction bar is supposed to do, am I giving anything up by removing them?

1967 Coupe | 351 4 speed MT

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Losing Cool points for sure.

You would have been an outcast in my high school circle of friends,.....

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
what kind of traction bars are we talking about? the old slapper bars , shelby style, or caltracs ?

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
you can "tune" them with different size snubbers. i'd probably keep them just so you don't get any wheel hop during spirited launches.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That style is NOT good for cornering purposes if you have that in mind.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
19 Posts
If you remove them you will have wheel hop, as the member above mentioned get Caltracs there high quality a have a lot of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just took a set off my car, I kinda liked 'em.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Man those bring back memories, traction bars, glass packs, air shocks, fatty 15’s with lots of rubber.

Those were good days!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Man those bring back memories, traction bars, glass packs, air shocks, fatty 15’s with lots of rubber.

Those were good days!
You forgot Gabriel HiJackers

Reactions: Israel and 2nd 66

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Now those are bad for cornering
Those were bad for everything, except keeping your fenders off your rear tires. But I had 'em and I was stylin'.....

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I say take 'em off, no points lost there. IF you had wide tires and the car just screamed; "I drag race" keep them but on a stockish car they have a pretend look, unless that is if you have a blackout hood and blue-taped letters on the door, and SUPER Loud muflers, then they look absolutely great!!!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Howdy. My car had traction bars that the previous owner installed. I don’t plan on drag racing or taking off hard, so apart from what a traction bar is supposed to do, am I giving anything up by removing them?

1967 Coupe | 351 4 speed MT
A 351 4 speed car and you won't be taking off hard? Have you tried to yet? Kind of fun I hear!

If you remove them you will have wheel hop.
That is not a law. Quality springs can all but stop wheel hop. I have 400hp, close to 9" of 200 treadwear autocross tires and launch very aggressively. Now, when I had cheap springs and didn't know how to launch...

I actually had the Shelby style under ride traction bars when this happened.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts