Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Have you tried it without them? That type of bar is great for drag racing as the torque reaction "plants " the tires. In a cornering situation it puts the rear suspension in a bind. I will say that every driver seems to have their own idea of what is best for them. Some of the best handling early Mustangs were the 69-70 Trans Am Mustangs hand they used a heim jointed over ride traction bar similar to that of a '65 Shelby. The bar was ONLY used to combat wheel hop on heavy braking.
If you are fast the way you are , don't change. I'm just saying your bars were designed with straight line in mind , not cornering.
Randy

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
35,842 Posts
Here they are.
The trouble with those slapper bars is when you set them tight enough to stop wheel hop, they make the car ride lousy. When you loosen them enough for a smooth ride, they thump all the time whenever you put torque on the axle.

Try removing them, see how it goes. If you like the way it drives, you are done. If the wheels start hopping, consider Traction Masters or Caltracks.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Have you tried it without them? That type of bar is great for drag racing as the torque reaction "plants " the tires. In a cornering situation it puts the rear suspension in a bind. I will say that every driver seems to have their own idea of what is best for them. Some of the best handling early Mustangs were the 69-70 Trans Am Mustangs hand they used a heim jointed over ride traction bar similar to that of a '65 Shelby. The bar was ONLY used to combat wheel hop on heavy braking.
If you are fast the way you are , don't change. I'm just saying your bars were designed with straight line in mind , not cornering.
Randy
I've run without them.
for me they just fill a sentiment void from 1st 66 more than anything else. I don't find them to hinder the car at least at the performance level I can drive it .I run out of steering ratio before I run out of power

21 - 23 of 23 Posts