Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a '72 with traction loc rear. The seller said it's similar to a detroit locker, and it will make noise engaging, disengaging, etc.

Is this true? I didn't think the trac loc is the same as a Detroit Locker.

The rear definitely makes noises, and I think more than it should. Last night, just rolling into the garage slowly it clunked. It also does it even if slowly taking off from a light, slowing down, and on turns.

I think sounds characteristic of a locker based on my understanding of how tight they are, but is the Traction Lock supposed to act this way?

Is there any way to check the rear w/o taking the center section out? I will pull it if needed. job.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
A traction lock will make a hellofa racket if you don't add a bottle of friction modifier to the rear end oil. Discounting that possibility, they should be quiet. So you could add the friction modifier, if the noise goes away, then you have a traction lock.

Z. Ray

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
A trac-lok should be quiet and seamless unlike a locker which which you can tell when it engages. A trac-lok wont click when you go around a turn either like a locker. The trade off is that they are not as durable, but the clutches can be replaced fairly cheaply.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
The "traction loc" came out in '69 and was the replacement for the "equa loc" which was out mid '60s. A good friend that rebuilt my traction loc (doing them for 20 yrs)and installed in my '67 said that the casting inside the trac loc was a little thicker and stronger and both have the same charactoristics, quiet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to put the car up and check the u-bolts, U-joints and go from there. The good thing is I have another center section I can swap into there if needed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Before swapping centers (which isn't that hard of course), I'd follow zrayr's suggestion. The Ford friction modifier comes in a little bottle and costs $4-5.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I put one from a 67 Fairlane in my 65 and it's great. When I put it in it did clank a bit until the lube, including friction modifier circulates. Driving in first gear in figure 8s for a bit usually does it. It should then be silent.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
If the Trac-Lok is in need of a rebuild, it'll make all sorts of interesting noises. I had one that even with two bottles of friction modifier was noisier than all get out when turning a corner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses.

It ends up the rear was low on fluid - it probably took a pint. I got 7 oz of friction modifier in, and a few more ounces of gear fluid. All is quiet now. I just hope the low fluid didn't create another problem.

For now - all is quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts