Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
To make it a Traction-lok, you need a new carrier and, of course, the clutch pack. The rest of your open rear can swap onto the new carrier, and then the new carrier swap into your existing housing.

I would recommend, however, if you're going to all that trouble, just use new ring and pinion gears, carrier bearings, and pinion bearings, then just forget about it for another 200,000 miles.

There are other ways to make a locking rear. I don't like the "kits" though. They aren't worth the hassle, IMHO. You can also get a Detroit Locker ... a little noiser than a Traction-Lok, but will last longer (clutch packs eventually wear out).

·
Registered
8,677 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I put an auburn locker in my last 8 inch Mustang rear. I never got a chance to see how it worked though(sold it as a roller) I remember it costed me $1000 to have it done. Did roll around the pole barn nicely though.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
66gt4spd said:
I put an auburn locker in my last 8 inch Mustang rear. I never got a chance to see how it worked though(sold it as a roller) I remember it costed me $1000 to have it done. Did roll around the pole barn nicely though.¸

Same here, i had my 9 inch open 3.0 converted to a 3.50 limited slip Auburn unit...Cost me around $1000 for everything.....not noisy and you don't get to hear the "clic" in the housing like a true locker does..

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
johnpro, You are saying that I will need a new carrier,(third member,cast iron piece that bolts to the housing?) or the part that holds the ring gear and pinion? Also are you saying that I should leave it an open rear and just replace the gears and bearings?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Just getting another pumpkin that is rebuilt by a reputable shop, and then replacing your open with it will give you a spare unit if anything happens. Just a thought, but I have been glad once or twice I went this route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts