Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i sold my old trailer and i am looking for a new one. i have found 18 ft dovetails in ok city for 1725 with a steel bed and teardrop fenders. this also includes new tires, breakaway kit and one set of axles with brakes. i found a 18ft dovetail with wood bed here in wichita for 1300 this trailer is 2 weeks old and has new tires and wheels plus the breakaway kit and trailer brakes which one is the better deal does the steel floor make a real big difference

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think the steel floor is better than wood. I have the dove tail, steel floor trailer with the break away brake system. One other important (most important item) issue.
Is the height of the trailer wheel fenders. I bought a new trailer, and did not consider this item. I have a great trailer for transporting projects, but you can not open the car door once the car is on the trailer, so you have to climb out the window. I wish I was a little smarter, when I purchased my trailer. Food for thought!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong with a wood trailer. I wouldn't get hung up on the wood vs steel feature. Wood doesn't rust, but does require some treatment to have an equivalent life to steel. On the farm, we used to apply diesel fuel with a paint brush as a preservative. Of course, you will still have to deal with rust on the steel stringers on a wooden trailer, but maintenance is generally easier to keep up with on wood. Repairs are generally easier to do with wood. Everyone probably has their own preference, mine is for wood.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If you're thinking about pulling any distance over hilly terrian, think about the 6000# axles (6 lug) and brakes on all four axles.

Only takes one panic stop to discover you need 4 axle braking... :(

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have a new 16' dovetail and have added a winch and aluminum toolbox up front. The 66 Fastback and 85 GT fit just right. I opted for the open deck as the trailer also serves as sort of a "lift" for under-car maintenance. The 16' model fits completely in the garage which makes it easier to store indoors. The 85 GT (about 50 miles per year) is used much less than the Fastback so it is stored on the trailer (indoors) except when I need the trailer for the taking the Fastback to a distant show or the drag strip. The doors of both cars clear the trailer fenders when loaded..just be sure to close the doors during the actual loading/unloading operations; and don't forget to extend the ramps before backing off (both close calls for me during senior moments).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts