Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a trailer to pull my concours 65 fastback to some of the more distant shows I attend. The car just turned 80,000 original miles so I am trying to save some on the mileage and wear and tear and reserve driving to local show within about 50 miles. My problem is that my neighborhood covenant does not allow trailers to be parked in the street or driveway so it has to go in my garage. This leads to another problem. My garage is exactly 19' deep. This severley limits my trailer choices since most that I have looked at are around 20' (16' bed + tongue) total length. Has anyone used a 16' trailer to pull an early stang? Is 16' too small? Also, does anyone make a more compact trailer, maybe with some type of removable or fold-up tongue. So far, the shortest 16' I have found has a total length of about 19'5"...just a tad too long. Any help would be appreciated for any brand recommendations.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I pull my car on a utility trailer with a 17 foot bed and I have plenty of room in front. Unless you have the whole garage to your self or you have a 3 car garage the trailer will be too wide for itself and another vehicle side by side. You have the width of the bed plus the width of the fenders to deal with.

U Haul makes a trailer that will haul a car and is really short because the car overhangs the front. The front wheels of the car pull right up to the front edge of the trailer which has built in wheel stops. Thats the only one I've seen like that. You could possibly modify a standard trailer to do this which would require rebalancing the axles and the installation of wheel stops in the front.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang4.jpg

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Having owned trailers and faced all the hassles of insurance, titling, registration, storage, maintenance, etc. Perhaps in your situation find a place to rent a trailer when you need one; a place that will have the same or like trailer dependably as you need one. It could be a LOT cheaper for only the 2 maybe 3 times a year you would need one.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts