Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm a newbie to the concours world and have seen lots of posts about detailing, paint markings & related, I'd like to post a question I don't think I've seen on here before. What do judges look for as far as the actual function of the car in the trailered class? Do I have to demonstrate the trans engages into drive & reverse, all electrical accessories operate? What kind of penalty for a failed component? Deductions for a car that has to be jump started?
On a related question I'd like to poll some owners to see just how much engine run time or driving your cars have done. The non-concours folks always joke about how the trailer queens aren't real cars anymore, just wondering if any cars out there have gotten anymore than to the end of your street & back. The engines look so amazing in some of these cars, it's hard to imagine they've been run for long, especially a FE big-block.
Does burnt paint around the exhaust ports get a deduction?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
MCA has no operational test, SAAC does everything but wipers. As far as driveability so do, some don't. My 500 got driven 1000 miles a year or so and is a SAAC/MCA concours gold car.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. As I said, I am a concours newbie. Functionallity will always be just as important to me personally being a professional Ford technician. Would I be an odd ball at a concours show, starting up my car, driving it out and into my trailer, and into it's show space in a trailered event?
I'd imagine with the MCA rules as you stated, more that a couple cars get pushed around.

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
You would have to go through classification first and it would look funny to be pushing your car all the way through that line. Personally, I am against pushing cars onto the show field, including Thoroughbred and Unrestored. I understand why the owners of certain cars do it, but if the million dollar Pebble Beach-level concours Duesenbergs, etc., can drive, so should a Mustang. I would be most accepting of a very low mileage Unrestored car being pushed (less than 1,000 miles), however. Still, where is the joy in never driving your Mustang?

My coupe is trailered concours (Conservator class), but I do drive it. It never has been pushed onto a show field, and unless I have an unexpectedly dead battery, it's never going to happen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You don't have to drive through the clasification line,You can have them come to you and clasify it if you don't drive it or if you only drive it a limited distance.
Laurie,Mileage really dosn't mean much in unrestored cars.The big deal is condition originality and being untouched.I have seen many unrestored cars with under 5K miles that are pitiful.As far as driving them...What a great disservice that would be to the hobbie and the Mustang community as a whole.I would have to replace all the rubber components in the drive train and rebuild most of it also....Then were is the originality?I get my enjoyment out of studyind and letting others study them.I do have a higher milage unrestored that I do drive.It like the other 2 has earned it's Platinum award,but is not as pristeen as the others.
As far as Pebble Beach concourse...Those cars are not restored to Original Standards...They are way over done and really are nothing like the original cars in most cases.With the investment in original parts etc that goes into a thoughrobread restoration I can see why you wouldn't even start one.
The great thing about this hobby is we can all get our fun however we like weather we drive them or not.

G

·
It's a common misconception that trailered cars are not road-worthy. I have seen very few cars that are purely trailer-queens. Most Concours trailered cars do get driven occasionally.

I'd like to see MCA get back into tech inspections one day. To me, an operational car is part of the challenge in restoring a car. To get everything actually working and also correct is quite a feat!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I generally drive my concours trailered car at least a few miles once a week during the summer and always drive it on and off the trailer at the shows. I even put it through it's paces a few laps on the track at the MCA 35th at Birmingham last year. Just because I show in trailered does not mean I don't drive it.

As far as everything working I'm down to two items... the console storage compartment light (still need to fix the little copper switch) and for some reason I have yet to figure out why my emergency flashers do not work.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd like to see MCA get back into tech inspections one day. To me, an operational car is part of the challenge in restoring a car. To get everything actually working and also correct is quite a feat!
I agree with you Charles; there are many pretty cars that don't function well. If a show car can't perform as new, how concours correct can it be?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am VERY PROUD that I am within 45 days (Good Lord willing and the rabbit don't die) of unveiling my "trailer queen". The car has undergone a 44 month ground up, rotessorie restoration, with an embarresing amount of cash spent on NOS parts. I would have nothing less than a fully functional and completely working vehicle and would welcome an inspection of the parts, gauges, components, even the radio and headlights, and turn signals. You name it, any part of it, and I welcome you or anyone to test it!

It WILL be driven in and out of the trailer, as I would be afraid to scratch it or dent it by pushing it. Also, I plan on driving it to a few local cars shows in the spring, summer and fall, as I think it would be foolish to trailer my car 3 or 4 miles to my local shows as I live right smack in the middle of town.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Laurie_S said:
if the million dollar Pebble Beach-level concours Duesenbergs, etc., can drive, so should a Mustang.
CharlesTurner said:
It's a common misconception that trailered cars are not road-worthy. I have seen very few cars that are purely trailer-queens. Most Concours trailered cars do get driven occasionally.

I am thrilled to see that some people share my views also, concours judges none the less! If the standard for judging a car to concours is how it was when it on the dealers showroom floor when brand new, how can could you not take into consideration if it runs and functions as a new car as well. I am all for the tech inspections if they are not currently part of the judging process.

For those of you that do put a few miles on your prized possessions, are you concerned with paint discoloring and/or burning off the engine? No one
really hit on my question of point deductions for this. I'd have to imagine there would be, wouldn't there?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
66kgt said:
I generally drive my concours trailered car at least a few miles once a week during the summer and always drive it on and off the trailer at the shows. I even put it through it's paces a few laps on the track at the MCA 35th at Birmingham last year. Just because I show in trailered does not mean I don't drive it.

As far as everything working I'm down to two items... the console storage compartment light (still need to fix the little copper switch) and for some reason I have yet to figure out why my emergency flashers do not work.
By any chance do your emergency flashers work only at the rear, but not the front?

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
I haven't really noticed any problem with the engine paint burning with my coupe and there's almost 300 miles of use since I redid it. A lot of those miles occurred in little drives, but one drive was 112 miles or so.

G

·
You'll have problems with big blocks burning paint off the engine at the exhaust manifolds, but most owners just bring along some touch-up paint to the shows. No biggie.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Concours judging is subject to interpretation of the rules as well as personal opinions. Although the bulk of judges do a great job, many times they over look the cars build facility and the fact that not all shifts did everything the exact same way. “Job One” wasn’t even a Ford thought during those years. On all Concours trailered cars, I would personally expect to see minor defects as well as wear. Paint subject to heat is one of those areas. Would I deduct any points, “NO”. As for functionality of the car and its accessories, I too would like to have the “Tech Check” come back. Another area is body paint. Too many cars get by with having just their headlight buckets orange peeled, and the rest of the car shows NO orange peel. Go to any Ford dealership and take a close look at their NEW cars. LOTs of orange peel. Bottom line is: all Councours owners and their cars deserve appreciation for participating at any MCA show.

Mark Vasquez

·
Registered
589 Posts
((((((((((((((((((( APPLAUSE!!!)))))))))))))) to the "tech check" part of your statement. I thought that "concours" meant better than factory origonal. Factory origonal meant a running car in all respects. If it is not running or something is on the blink, was it that way from the factory ?? I don't think so !

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
MMV said:
On all Concours trailered cars, I would personally expect to see minor defects as well as wear. Paint subject to heat is one of those areas. Would I deduct any points, “NO”.
So how would that be like "as delivered to owner" ? What kind of wear would you expect if you picked up a new car?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CharlesTurner said:
You'll have problems with big blocks burning paint off the engine at the exhaust manifolds, but most owners just bring along some touch-up paint to the shows. No biggie.
That's what I did with my 67 GT500, so I'm aware of the FE engines being bad about that. I was curious how concours car owners dealt with it. If they did the same thing, didn't run them at all for fear of loosing points, and just how serious a point deduct it would be.
I certainly wouldn't put more miles on my 69 GT500
convertible undergoing a concours resto now than any of you have mentioned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let me rephrase my comment to “weather related wear”. All Mustangs were produced in areas where the weather might affect natural metal parts. Moisture is the number one enemy of metal parts. These Mustangs were built to be delivered to customers, not preserved from the elements. Typical weathered areas would be suspension parts front and rear. Exposed disc brake calipers and exhaust assembly. All I’m saying is that from the dealership to the customer is NOT the same as from the factory to the awaiting car carrier.

MMV

1 - 20 of 51 Posts