Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys/gals feel when you are on the freeway and see that nice looking car being towed around? Do you thing damn drive it man??? Or gee I would do the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
I haven't even thought that. At times I need to trailer one of my cars in order to get it somewhere, for one reason or another, and I have no other drivers to get me back home. I guess I assume they are doing the same thing.

G

·
0 Posts
I like to see them driven, but then again if everyone was driving the hell out of them there wouldn't be some of the truly clean classic muscle cars that you see at the shows. Personel preference if I own it I am going to drive it.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
As you can see, I own a shelby. Drove it to car shows for years. Drove it through a 4 hour long thunder storm. Last year I got a car trailer after my wifes prodding. My rule: I'll trailer it if the show is more than 100 miles away. And I love driving that car. But lately, people (other drivers) give you no respect, tailgate too close or don't even see you while they come over into your lane. So I don't feel too bad about trailering it.
I don't think of it as a trailer queen, I'll drive it onto the show field (like some rules suggest). Drive it down to the local cruise place, no problem.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If I saw "trouble" on the trailer..I'd say...damn nice car, wish I had it.

If it were any other car:

"Drive the darn thing...enjoy it"

But when I think about the enjoy it part, some people just enjoy owning, working on, and winning trophies for their cars, and not driving.

Personally, I love driving my car. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Slade

G

·
0 Posts
I always say "Drive it "and enjoy it !!
But on the other hand the way people drive it may be safer on a trailer.
Just my 2 cents - no trailer queen at my house !

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I drive my BOSS to shows. Over 4,000 miles in this first year and a half. I admit, after this season though the car will be parked and not see near as much action. I will however continue to drive it to any local event now and then.

I do hope to someday have the truck & trailer (inclosed) to take the car to some National Events playing some golf and catching some fish with my son along the way. Where's that lotto ticket? ::

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If there's one in a museum, all the rest can be driven! There should be one perfect example of each car that should be preserved. It's up to us to rebuild the rest.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
I just think "nice Mustang." There are good reasons for trailering a car, especially one like my coupe. I take it to shows that range from 1,200 to 2,200 miles from Tucson. I would be crazy to drive the car that distance. I do drive the car on occasion and for every 15 minute drive I probably have to spend 150 minutes to clean up the undercarriage, etc. I love to drive my Mustangs--especially Trouble--but sometimes trailering is the best way to go. Besides, that 390 with open headers sounds awesome when I crank it up inside the trailer. ::

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
I have averaged 4,228.5 miles per year since 1996 , and still have at least 1150 to go this year . NO TRAILER !

http://home.comcast.net/~whitetopcv/wsb/media/190864/site1009.JPG

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mustangs are happiest when driven and im happiest when driving my mustang. :: :: ::

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its easy to see why they trailer them around,undereath the car looks as good as the top,all i know is just dont go up against in the shows. I put mine in the the local hot rod & street machine spectacular(the biggy for the year) & every car that picked up was a trailer queen.Go figure. Ron.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Athough the Fastback has a detailed undercarriage, I drive it locally several times a week and have been caught out in the rain (ugh!). However, for trips (sometimes over 100 miles) to dragstrips and to shows like Carlisle and Ocean City, I trailer it. The 4:11 gears aren't good for extended highway driving.

K

·
0 Posts
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw at the Hollister motorcycle rally....'Trailer rally, bring a bike' or 'What year is your trailer?' :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I can go both ways. If I was to see a "concours" Shelby in a trailer, I'd COMPLETELY understand. Or, as Dinosawj said, not all cars that are trailered around are trailer queens. Now, I dont think I'll EVER trailer my car. It's not like I could afford it anyways! :p

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
In the last 16 months, DT has had more miles put on it trailered than actually driven. And its not a trailer queen, it just keep breaking :(

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My opinion? If you want to trailer you car everywhere and miss the enjoyment of driving it, that is your business. Just don't trailer it to a show and put it up against a bunch of driven cars and expect it to be judged evenly. Or even worse, don't trailer it up and call it a "daily driver" unless you just took a week to clean and polish it and didn't want to drive it over in the rain.

Of course, trailering to the dragstrip is a good thing. Don't have to push it home if it blows!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts