Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the rearend break-in topic, it got me thinking, is there a tranny break-in procedure? Also, after so many miles after rebuild, should I replace fluid and/or filter like with the engine and rearend?

G

·
I dont really follow a procedure. I do take it very easy to begin with ie: no heavy towing etc. Basically I drive it like my grandmother for the first few miles. Ultimately, the trans rebuilder should have the final say..if you built it yourself then just use common sense. My .02

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Like Napaguy, I just sort of take it easy the first couple hundred miles or so.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If it's a manual transmission, you need to break in the clutch, but I've never heard of actually "breaking in" a transmission, either automatic or manual.

To break the clutch in, it should be used in stop and go traffic for 50 miles or so, before driving for an extended period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts