Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this question is purely hypothetical, but bear with me: suppose I wanted to exchange my 68 auto tranny for a manual (doesn't matter how many speed, but 4 or 5 would be nice). How big an operation is this? What would this cost me in terms of time and money, and can it be done without shop equipment? Any ideas or anything in the ballpark would be appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i ran into a guy who did a auto to manual tranny conversion basically he say its a lot a lot of work. you gotta get the clutch pedal and assembly and thats the easy part. he didn't tell me how much but by the look on his face and the kit he was holding in the store. its going to be well in excess of 1000 dollars not including the tranny. (one of the reasons why i chose even a 3spd for a car. it has the assembly parts there)... i don't know how much cutting needs to be done but i think there is going to be quite a bit. i wouldn't suggest it unless you have someone that you know will give you a good deal to do the conversion

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's not too involved if you're mechanically inclined. It will however require a cherry picker (engine hoist) as you will need to remove the engine (only two bolts) and changed the flywheel to a manual flywheel. As far as the trans, you're looking to spend around $1200 for a new or rebuilt trans, $75 for pedals, $180 or so for the clutch, and then around $175 for a homemade hydraulic clutch setup like I did. All in all, it takes many steps to reach the final goal, but none are that complicated. No tunnel mods will be needed in the '68.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
$700 in parts and a big floor jack is all I used to convert my previous '65 FB from auto to toploader. I didn't even have an air impact gun to knock the flex plate bolts off.
I didn't think it was so hard but I was using stock parts and helped my dad replace clutches on the family '65 Galaxie class Ford wagon.

I left the engine in place - used a second jack and a block of wood on the oil pan to support the back end of the block.

I'd think a '68 wouldn't be much harder but I don't know how their pedals are hung or how their clutch pedal return spring is installed.

The trans tunnel is bigger, though.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go to www.moderndriveline.com and look at their kits to get an idea of pricing. I changed from a C6 to a TKO in my '69 and it cost ~$3000, but I basically spared no expense anywhere. I did pick up the pedals, bellhousing, and a Ford Motorsport flywheel on [censored] at bargain prices, but everthing else I bought new from Modern Driveline (cable clutch conversion), Dark Horse Performance (crossmember and shift lever/boot/knob) and Tommy Vaughn Ford (Houston, TX) (TKO, clutch, block plate, clutch lever, TOB, etc.).

Install was not easy, but not the hardest thing I have ever done either. I did not have to pull the motor, just borrowed some massive 12-ton jackstands and used a floor jack to remove the C6 and brute-forced the TKO (had help).

·
Registered
228 Posts
The answer to you're question varies as you've left it pretty wide open. Cost and time are really dependent upon whether you choose to go 3,4, or 5 speed, what type of driving you plan on doing, what type of clutch system you want, and how you want to go about it. The cheapest swap would probably be to buy a trashed 3sp 67/68 stang and pull the needed parts off it. Parts cars are cheap, mine was $500 and I got a 4V 289 in it, too. and if you want 4 or 5 speed later the change isn't as drastic. However, this probably requires more time and effort on your part. The quickest is probably to buy one of the kits mentioned above. However, the lits are usually at least $1k and then you either pay to have installed or put the time and work into yourself.
Personally, I don't think the conversion to a 3 or 4 sp is a big deal as all the parts are bolt in. The pedals go in and come out as a set, the original clutch set up is pretty straight forward, and you don't have to remove the engine if you don't want to. (Although it makes it a whole lot easier)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I converted my car from a c-4 to a T-5. It was pretty straight forward. The clutch pedal is probably the hardest part to find at a reasonable cost. On the high end you can spend $2,500 for a full kit with new transmission. On the low end you could probably do a swap for $800 or so with used parts and fabrication of the clutch cable setup and crossmember by yourself.

You probably would want to figure a couple weekends to do the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts