Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car back from the shop after having some work done to it. They serviced the transmission (C4- gasket, filter, fluid). Drove it approximately 6 miles home and parked it.

The very next day, there was fluid under the car. Started it up, gave it a little throttle after it warmed up, and there is a decent size puddle of tranny fluid underneath.

Not sure if the shop would have noticed, but I think they would've concidering they drove it around the block and saw it sitting. My roomate suggested it might be the rear main seal in the tranny.....

Any other suggestions? I'm aware they could have done the gasket wrong, not sure where its leaking from just yet because I dont have a jack to get under her.

Car is '69 coupe w/302

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question: was it leaking before they worked on it?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
So it didn't leak before service?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Take it back. No car should leave a transmission shop with a fluid leak. Any decent shop knows this and should not have a problem making it right.

·
Just some guy
20,662 Posts
But even the best shops sometimes overlook something or make a mistake. Everybody's human. I wouldn't write them off as a place to take the car because of one leak. How they take take care of the problem would be the decider on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
most likely over tightened pan bolts and wrecked new gasket .
Yea i'm working on getting the car towed back there.

It was leaking before hand, but that was because the gasket went bad and needed to be replaced. I hope that they just over torqued the bolts and that its not a rear main seal.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Can a pan that has been over torqued still be used?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level? Maybe they just overfilled it, and it spilled out when it heated up. Unlikely, but hey, lets be optimistic!

·
Just some guy
20,662 Posts
When pan bolts are over tightened it distorts the metal of the edge of the pan. Usually the distortion is in the form of "dimples" where the bolts go. Anyone with an eye for such things can generally massage the pan edge back nice and flat with some hammer and dolly work. Much like fixing dings in a fender. Again stuff any/every transmission shop should know all about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When pan bolts are over tightened it distorts the metal of the edge of the pan. Usually the distortion is in the form of "dimples" where the bolts go. Anyone with an eye for such things can generally massage the pan edge back nice and flat with some hammer and dolly work. Much like fixing dings in a fender. Again stuff any/every transmission shop should know all about.
Looks like I'll buy a new trans pan and gasket to do it myself. Any idea of the torque specs or where I can find them?

Have you checked the fluid level? Maybe they just overfilled it, and it spilled out when it heated up. Unlikely, but hey, lets be optimistic!
I'll do that, but is there really an overflow valve of some sort?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A really common thing that gets overlooked is the O-ring gasket on the dipstick tube. Won't leak while its running, but after setting, fluid drains out of converter and rises above the junction.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A really common thing that gets overlooked is the O-ring gasket on the dipstick tube. Won't leak while its running, but after setting, fluid drains out of converter and rises above the junction.
Is that just a standard rubber o-ring or is it a special material? I'd like to replace mine while putting on my new pan and filter.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looks standard, but I went by the tranny shop I deal with and he gave me the correct one. Someone had replaced it, but it was the wrong size.

·
Just some guy
20,662 Posts
IIRC the bolts torque to about 10-12 foot pounds. Probably specifies in the service manual, I've never looked. I use "elbow" torque on mine.
Nothing special about the O-ring, it doesn't have to be viton rubber or anything. As above, it does need to be the correct size.
I personally prefer the fiber/rubber (black) pan gaskets. I don't care to ever see any kind of cork gasket on anything ever again. Some folks like cork though. You usually can't buy a gasket at your local parts store. You can buy a "filter kit" though, usually for about what a gasket alone costs. Use the gasket and toss or stash the extra filter. My parts store folks are kind enough to let me open the box and see what type of gasket it includes before I buy it.
All transmissions have a vent somewhere. As they heat up, the fluid expands a LOT. There is air in a transmission and the vent is positioned so hot air can escape. Later fresh air goes back in as the transmission cools down. If the vent was plugged you'd start seeing blown seals very shortly. It's not an overflow valve but it's quite possible to overfill a transmission so much that fluid comes out of the vent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IIRC the bolts torque to about 10-12 foot pounds. Probably specifies in the service manual, I've never looked. I use "elbow" torque on mine.
Nothing special about the O-ring, it doesn't have to be viton rubber or anything. As above, it does need to be the correct size.
I personally prefer the fiber/rubber (black) pan gaskets. I don't care to ever see any kind of cork gasket on anything ever again. Some folks like cork though. You usually can't buy a gasket at your local parts store. You can buy a "filter kit" though, usually for about what a gasket alone costs. Use the gasket and toss or stash the extra filter. My parts store folks are kind enough to let me open the box and see what type of gasket it includes before I buy it.
All transmissions have a vent somewhere. As they heat up, the fluid expands a LOT. There is air in a transmission and the vent is positioned so hot air can escape. Later fresh air goes back in as the transmission cools down. If the vent was plugged you'd start seeing blown seals very shortly. It's not an overflow valve but it's quite possible to overfill a transmission so much that fluid comes out of the vent.
I did notice that the dipstick tube was loose when I checked the fluid level (which was low or "add fluid") In saying this, I'm wondering if they bought a complete filter kit as you mentioned, and didnt bother to install the dipstick gasket inevitably over looking the loose tube.

But how much would really over flow out? This may sound like a stupid question, but do you check the trans fluid when the engine has been warmed up?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Never measured how much will leak out, but a lot! When engine/tranny is at full operating temp it reads just like the dipstick for your oil, check in Park position, engine at idle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts