Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny fluid/grease is leaking from around one of the bolts that holds the entension housing to the gear box.
At first we thought about putting a gasket in b/t the tailshaft and the gear box...however, Mark and Toploader Heaven suggested a gasket prob. won't help much if the leak is coming down the threads and maybe to put some copper silicone on the threads of the leaking bolt. This sounds like a good idea...however I assume I'll have to drain the fluid to get the bolt out and not have fluid come pouring out the bolt hole.

Anyone else run into a similar issue?

Thanks,
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
I Have,yes youd prob lose some fluid,depends what location the bolt is in.
if you use silicone,you have to make sure every part of that hole and aera around it is 100% clean an oil free,a better product might be teflon sealant in a tube[its white] and i feel works better for that kind of fix
Dave

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have the same problem. I absolutely can not use full synthetic fluid. I have tried various sealers on the bolt, and I still have a small leak. I now use a combination of 1 pint Mobil 1 75/90w and 1 pint of 90/140w convention gear box lube. This combination shifts well and the leak reduced to just a dampness in the area (passes club's tech at the track). Bob

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys...
My buddy is gonna try to fix the clutch chatter/fly wheel heatsinking in 1st gear and replace the gasket in b/t the tailshaft and gearbox while at it...he's gonna put some telfon or silicone on the threads of the bolt too...I figured if I messed with it it would be a waste of time since he has to take the tranny out to get to the flywheel anyway.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts