Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out after chatting with Boss and dodge and others, and put the original motor mounts back on, left everthing loose, and tried to get the crossmember to bolt up to the tranny mount. No dice. It is still about 1/4 to 1/2 inch forward of the bolt slots in the crossmember. I guess tomorrow first thing, I will drop the new tranny mount off and try it with the original tranny mount bolted on it, and see if its any closer. Next up is fabricating a new cross member or breaking out the BFH and forcing it *). Its just a pain to try to jocky the tranny around while its attached to the block, and not have it come crashing down on my or worse yet, the floor. Well lets see what 12 hours does for the fit.LoL.. Open to suggestions as to what the problem might be !?! I'm running out of ideas.....

Thanks,
A.J.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
that sucks hope you have better luck tomorrow :p

·
Registered
680 Posts
I read your post from yesturday, and didn't think I could help. After reading this post, I think I know what your problem is.
I believe that you have a crossmember for a C6 transmission. The slotted holes for the C6 set back about 3/4" farther back than the C4, I think....
I have a C4 crossmember in my '70. WhenI went to the C6, I had to slot the holes about 3/4" farther back....
Just an idea...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You may have already done this but here goes..If the engine mounts are on backwards the tranny mount will be a half inch out..been there done that..on both my stangs..I fought the sucker for days, even thought of redrilling the holes in the tranny mount. Just lift the engine a bits so you can remove the engine mounts and change sides...good luck
Don
Thought I better add, you will notice that one mount sits back about a half inch farther that the other.When they are on backwards the engine sits a bit farther ahead and closer to the rad.You most likely would see this a lot easier, if the rad was in place . I am sure that this will cure you problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts