Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny pan is leaking after a couple of gasket changes. I know it's the pan leaking and nothing else. I straightened the mounting surface of the pan as well. My question is... Do you know if they make bolt thru metal that goes around the pan (exactaly like the oil pan) which would ensure a flat/good seal? Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sounds to me like it might be time for a new pan. If you do decide to change the pan, I would opt for one with a drain plug in it. Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Get a new gasket and a tube of permatex 2b, the old smelly non hardening stuff. clean the pan and
tranny lips with some laquer thinner. coat both sides of the gasket and the inner edge with your fingers
to get a light uniform film and bolt on. end of leak. then spend next hour cleaning fingers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll try that out and let ya know tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Don't overlook the possibility the "O" ring on the dip stick tube has failed. It will allow fluid to seep out, and it migrates to the cork gasket and around the pan. You'll swear on a stack of funny books the pan gasket is faulty, but of course it isn't. I know, I've been there and experienced the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts