Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to figure out a vibration problem on a friends '68 Ranchero. The car used to have a toploader in it and he recently installed a T-5. The problem occurs at about 65 MPH and progressively gets worse. At about 80 MPH the car is shaking so violently he has to let off. I took the car out and ran it up to a speed that I could handle with the vibration (around 75 MPH) and pushed in the clutch and neutraled the transmission the shake did not start to fade until the car coasted down to about 60 MPH. I thought the problem could be the aftermarket flywheel that he put in the car, but wouldn't it make the viabration at all engine speeds not just high RPM? He used a Ford Motorsports steel flywheel with the 28oz. unbalance to fit the T-5 bell and clutch. Now my real question is , is the slip yoke for the toploader different than the one for the T-5? I got under the car and wiggled the driveline at the yoke, and there seems to be quite a bit of play in the end of the tailshshaft. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If the vibration is vehicle speed related, then its not an engine problem. Sound like the driveshaft is way out of wack. If its as loose as you say, try a different yoke.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts