Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying a c4 shift kit and a hurst shifter that only works on c4's and 6's, I found out I have a crappy fmx. I needed a tranny pan gasket and the 14 hole fmx one is the only one that fits. My vin said I had a c4. This is very dissapointing to find out. Is there any other way to tell what kind of tranny I have?? How difficult would a c4 swap be? That explains why my engine screams and the car hardly goes anywhere. Ive got a power robbing FMX /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Please tell me that fmx and c4 have the same pan bolt pattern. I tried all the fram c4 and c6 gaskets out at kragen, and none of them fit. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Is the tranny case cast iron? The FMX is a good transmission. It also has a very good first gear. There are a few aftermarket parts for it. If it is not slipping then I would look elsewhere for your performance problems. John

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Absolutely, the FMX is a good trans, actually stronger than the C4, but not like the C6. If she is slipping and needs a rebuild, I can highly recommend Universal Transmission Exchange in LA, Ca.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will it steal more power than the c6? How much of a rear horsepower difference would I get with a fmx to a c4? Betyter yet, whats the percentage that c4 robs from engine and the percent that fmx robs? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts